K&N intake , maf sensor, any good?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony brizag

Reaction score
i am thinking of gettin a kn fipk for my trac 02. just wondering if u can hear it in the cab while driving. i had an intake on my jeep one time and i threw it out on the side of the road on the way home from work cuz it made a high pitched sound when accelerating and i hate things that make racket. anyway just wondering if u can hear high pitch sounds or just a little or what. my buddy has one on his s-10 and it didnt make any sounds at all.

so what does it sound like when u really get on it?

that whistleing sound is what drove me crazy with my jeep intake. it was like a cat being murdered under the hood or a squeaking belt.

I think the whistle sound has been tracked down to the throttle body wen it has occured (in most cases). Others had air leaks. Under normal driving, the sound level is only slightly increased. On wide open throttle the sound increases, but is definitely non intrusive in my opinion.

I have had a K&N FIPK, and now have the MAC cold air intake. I've never heard a whistle from either one of them. The only sound I've ever heard from my intake is the sucking sound when the throttle is wide open, such as when the engine is first started and warming up, or when I punch it on the highway. It's the same type of sound that you hear from a wide-open four-barrel carb. The main reason you hear it is that the air filter isn't enclosed in a box like the stock box or a Volant CAI. Also, there's the fact that the air intake opening is much larger than the stock opening.

I believe you're always going to get a much more noticeable sound, be it a whistle, sucking sound, or whatever; from just about any aftermarket intake simply because it's drawing in so much more air than the stock configuration. If you don't like that sound, then simply use a drop-in K&N filter in your stock box. Or, if you've installed a CAI, then just crank your stereo up a little louder so you don't hear the intake!:D

Latest posts