• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Keys??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Can someone provide a brief lesson concerning the deal with keys? Why would someone need a third key? What's the purpose of the key code, what's the life of the chips within the key, why would anyone need a key without the chip, etc, etc. Seen a lot of traffic concerning getting additioanl keys made--what's the scoop? thanks

If you already have 2 keys, you can program a 3rd yourself for cheap. If you don't have 2 keys, you have to go to the dealer for them to program, not cheap. :D

Edit: Actually, programming the 3rd yourself is free, the key itself is what I meant was cheap. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
John, If you ever need to get a remote start, most systems require a third key be placed under the dash in a special module....

I like a spare non chipped key i carry in my wallet.... I use it when i need to open he tanou cover and don't have my keys, OR the tailgate...

Yes you can use the door code....

Also I leave my truck with my brother a lot, So he will need keys, That would leave me with 1 key it one gets lost....

It is always safe to have a spare key...

The chipped key is an anti theft device so some one who makes a copy of your key behind your back, they cant drive the truck....

Yes they can get inside, but if you don't have much of value inside, they would be looking to take the whole truck...

Todd Z

John,

Like Todd I carry a non chipped key in my wallet for emergency opening of the door in case I'm away and accidently lock the keys in the trac. This is an excellent idea and non-coded keys are cheap