kinda strange acceleration...transmission?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Alright, been thinking a lot about the transmission on my truck, you know it's kinda like throwing up - if you're thinking about 'if' you feel sick, you are! Non-sick people don't think 'do I feel like I'm about to hurl?" So along those lines, I feel this vague uneasiness about the trans on acceleration, like I don't have a strong connection between the engine and the rear axle. I thought of it tonight when going up a hill. Am I experiencing slippage in the trans, or not? When I gun it I feel strong acceleration, it's when I'm just kinda lightly accelerating when I notice it. So I'm thinking first gear is strong, so are the higher 'cruising' gears. That leaves 2 and 3 now doesn't it.

So, am I just reading too much about the transmission issues on this site and kinda feeling like I've got every disease in the book when reading a medical book, or do I really have an issue? I think I need to find a strong hill, and experiment a little, see if I can re-create something. Any thoughts?

--Bob

This site can kind of make you a hypochondriac in regards to your ST.

But hopefully more times than not it helps you find issues before they get too bad or let you know how to handle it with your Ford Dealer or mechanic.

It's all in your head.:lol:

Do you notice any variances in RPM's? That would be the "taletell" sign. Just do like I do, floor it at the bottom of the hill and don't let off till you're at the top.;)

When was the fluid changed last and any EPC adjustment?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an '04 4wd with a 4.10 rear axle, bought just a few weeks ago - only on 3rd tank of gas. Don't know what has or hasn't been done to it. Planning on taking it into the dealer next week to have a whole pile of small things done: drivers mirror vibrates at speed, the heated seat on the passenger side doesn't always go on or stay on, the cruise control is almost impossible to click on at times, stuff like that. Thinking of telling them about the trans slipping stuff, the epc adjustment and the 2/3 flare. Anybody know what the tsb is and if it applys to the 2004 sport tracs? If they do anything to it, chances are pretty good that they'll flush the trans at that point under warrenty. If they don't do anything, then I'll have the tranny flush done at another appointment.

--Bob

Bob, your indication of 'okay on strong acceleration' and 'not okay on light acceleration' is what I experienced on my 04...twice. At about 18K miles, immediately after changing my habit from strong to mild acceleration I began noticing a flair from 1-2 or 2-3 gear (not sure which). A dealership repaired/replaced the EPC solenoid, but only after a flush did the flair disappear. Almost 10K miles later I started noticing it again...hesitation to shift. In other words, the tranny was slipping again. Took my Trac to a different dealership and 'due to internal damage' the tranny was better off being replaced. The service invoice indicates diagnosis code P0732; no 2nd gear, and the new tranny appears to be remanufactured (part number 4L5Z....description 0295125W...REMFG..).

I'm keeping my eye on it for the next several hundred miles but so far everything seems good. The flairs are gone, of course, but most noticeably I no longer get this descrete kick (which I now realize could've been the tranny slipping) when I get on this particular freeway on-ramp that must be approaced at a very sharp angle. It was as if going from 1st gear to overdrive. I thought my Trac was just having a hard time accelerating while the wheel was being turned hard. I did this routinely and althought I thought it was a bit odd, I did not know something was wrong mechanically. Things may have progressively worse from there leading to my tranny's demise. Anyway, after I got my Trac back I was eager to test it on this on ramp and thankfully I don't get that kick any more. I can feel my 2nd gear a lot now, not just on this on ramp, but everywhere as well.

Still too soon to say anything for sure, but hopefully all is well from here on out. This isn't to worry you Bob, but I had to share just in case.

The simplest thing to try is to disconnect the battery which will reset the computer. The transmission learns how you drive, and since you just bought the Trac, it's may be adapting to the differences in driving style between yourself and the previous owner. Resetting the computer will return the transmission to the default settings.