KKM CAI

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
I got tired of waiting on KKM to add their CAI for the Trac to their list of available parts. By that I mean they list it on their website but it is always shown as "Out Of Stock". I figured I would take a chance and order one anyway and just tell them to ship it when it becomes available. Guess what? The order confirmation message I received states they will ship it on Monday. We shall see...:unsure:

I called them on Wednesday and they said they have parts allocated in stock for 35 units, and shipping starts Monday 2/5 for any orders that have been placed.

Yes. V8. They must be ahead of schedule. Sounds like my timing was perfect, if only by accident. :cool:

I just want to ask one question about this intake. it seems just to be a cone filter placed there in stead of the regular air box. Though the air box is a little bit more restrictive... it does have a tube that leads to the front grill which takes in cool air. This intake seems to me that yes it would be less restrictive but it would also intake alot of hot air from the motor compartment. SO would there really be that much more of a gain with the new intake setup compared to just using a drop in K&N?

As a reference, I had a K&N CAI on my 02 Ranger 4.0L. There was a noticeable improvement in performance and fuel mileage. The downside was a noticeable increase in air intake noise, especially at cold startup. The other consideration is that these CAI kits just look better than the factory plastic box. I guess you need to decide if you want to improve functionality and appearance at the cost of a little extra noise. The Sport Trac does have much better sound deadening than the Ranger so the noise issue may be a moot point.

Just to clarify something about the KKM in particular. I believe this setup is not the same as some of the other kits in that it does not include a replacement intake tube. What you get is a conical filter element, a billet aluminum mass air sensor housing and a mounting bracket. I don't know if there would be any additional benefit to replacing the factory tube. It looks fairly smooth so hopefully KKM has determined that there would be little advantage to replacing the tube. Their price is also not as high as the typical kit with a new tube. Has anyone else has asked KKM this question? :unsure:

Latest posts