Laptop Died

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Had it for 18 months and the power supply died. Won't power up at all. Acer says it's built in and to fix it I have to buy another motherboard. (out of warranty of course) The cost would be 300-400$,, Heck, I can buy a brand new one for 499$.. So here is my question, can I take the HD out and plug it into a desktop so I can get the info from it. Or will I have to pay a shop to do it?

You can buy an enclosure from a computer store for about 8 bucks (no shipping charges) and place the drive in it. You can then use it as an external storage device.

Tom

Caymen,

There are computer stores still? Where?

Serious question...we no longer have any around me. CompUSA is gone, and the mom & pops are closed.

TJR

CompUSA deserved to die. Overpriced crap with employees that knew the monitor was what the cpu showed up on.

I love this store. it is a small chain, but the prices put the Russians to shame and the service is simply stunning. The knowledge of the staff will suprise 99% of techies out there.

Tom

A common failure is where the A/C power plugs into the jack in the rear. The center pin either loosens and does not make contact and or the plastic surrounding the pin breaks and the center pin moves out of the way when you plug it in, thus, no power gets to the computer and or the battery to charge it.

A quick check is to find a way to charge the battery. If it powers up with the freshly charged battery, then the DC jack is probably defective.

I have replace nearly 50 of these for others...

If you want, I will be glad to look at it for you.

The average repair is 40 to 140 depending on if it is soldered to the board or serviceable as a separate unit...

Good luck...

LaRue,

You will have to know if your drive is SATA or IDE before you buy an enclosure.

Tom

Caymen, Thanks for the link.

Only one in PA, about 40 miles away.

I'll continue to wait for "free shipping" deals from NewEgg.

Even with shipping, depending on what I am getting, it's a wash or I save money online. NewEgg doesn't charge me state sales tax. MicroCenter would, and if I add to that the price of gas (at least two gallons worth for the Focus) then shipping can be cheaper for most items.

TJR

Only one in PA, about 40 miles away.

It is worth the drive...IMO. I drive 30 miles, or so, to MicroCenter in Mayfield Heights when I need to stock up on some stuff.

Plan on getting two 1 TB SATA-300 drives for my server I have in the basement. Hopefully that will give me enough space to save all of our photo's, music, and movies. (Mirrored array for protection)

I enjoy stopping out there to look at all the deals they have that are not advertized. Things like 2 GB Thumb drive specials for 5 bucks once in a while is a nice suprise.

If you have a rebate form, it will be printed out for you and you will get your money back in a very short time. Longest I ever had to wait was like 4 weeks...that was the longest.

Tom

LaRue,

Let me know whether you have an IDE/ATA or Serial ATA hard drive. A make, model number would be best. I have several enclosures I would be willing to part with. Depending on your hard drive type these might work.

JasonK,, it is a 100gig ATA/IDE made by Hitachi. Model # HTS541010G9AT00. It's in an Acer notebook. Drop me an email if you can help. Thanks

I bought an enclosure for less then $10 that let me attach the laptop hd to the full-sized ide ribbon in my desktop. My friend had one that allowed you to go USB. If you have a desktop the $10 route works fine, if not the USB ones seem to go for about $30. I think Staples even sells a permenant one for less then $50.