Lasers instead of Sparkplugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article claims it will available in the next few years in some models. Sounds pretty cool, although not very shadetree friendly.....:wacko::D

I work with something similar on my churches soundboard. Light Viper converts the analog to digital, sends it via optic fiber. If that thing is even a smidgen off in the plug in, nothing works. If the unit the converts on stage is not 'talking' to the unit that converts it back on my board, all you can hear is random pops.

My concern over this system is durability. I think its a great idea, but durability and survivability in the rather harsh environment called the engine bay must be addressed. Without properly addressing and solving whatever goes on inside in all situation (I know, 'all situations' is an unreachable goal), then the system will not work.

Most likely, to reduce cost, they will go with one emitter and the required number of splitters to seperate the beam (6 for a 6 cyl, 8 for an 8), and another splitter somewhere else along the line if they want multiple beams into the cylinder. What will protect those elements from the vibration, temp extremes, and constant use?

I think its a brilliant idea, as long as its been though out long and hard.

I like the idea of spliting the beam around the combustion chamber. Also the feed back to the ecu. I wonder how much of a power supply is needed? Talking about a beam strong enough for ignition. The article said ford will introduce it on uper models in a few years.

It shouldn't take alot to generate the necessary 'explosion' as we are dealing with fine vapors of fuel. A gentle static shock is all it takes to really set it off. Especially if they do multiple points into the chamber, that will virtually ensure all fuel ignited quickly and with much greater compacted force.

Another issue, what will keep the emitters clean? The opening to a fiber optic cable is minute, but large enough for fuel, carbon, or other deposits to enter, and possibly clog the line.

Now, if you make the beam strong enough, it may push out the material clogging it, but that would reduce the effect of that particlar beam. If you want a really cool demonstration on the power of lasers, take the pocket kind you tease cats with. Take some type of smoking instrument (gic, or cigar), and shine the laser at the tip, just off the edge and try to get some of the ash into the beam only.

If you can get the ash to float in the air, and your beam catches it, you can actually see the ash get 'pushed' by the beam. Very cool to see that.

Anyways, still a great idea, hope it works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts