Last chance before I take it in for stalling?!??!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Ok... I tried the EGR valve vacuum check.. I resetted the battery/ecu and i checked the hoses and IAC motor...

I really don't know what is wrong.. First it was only stalling in reverse.. but now my trac is starting to sputter and almost stall in drive now.... it feels fine in neutral still tho..

I have an appointment with a transmission shop tomorrow a.m., but before I take it there.. can anyone tell me if I am wasting my time with a trans shop? is it a transmission issue? or is it something electrical or something for a mechanic shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, XST and your problem really have me wondering what it could be. The only thing I could think to do was "google" it and here is a site I found. Has alot of what everyone on here has already said. One thing I did find interesting was someone on there did post about wires being pinched when the motor shifted when put into gear. The cause was a bad motor mount. The only other thing I can think of is bad gas or water in the gas. Anyway, here is the link.;)

It wont hurt, so you might as wel do it. Get a tranny service if thats al thats required.

Better to know what they say, rather than wonder what they would've said

Did you thoroughly clean the IAC as per ToddZ's project? When was the last time you replaced the Fuel Filter? I did read here recently about an Air Leak in the Gasket of the Throttle Body, so that would be worth looing into also. Post a list of all the things you have checked and filters you have replaced and I bet someone will find something you missed.

Ford never could figure out why my Trac kept stalling. Pretty much, they kept replacing parts and then I finally got fed up and traded the Trac in on my Toyota.

The dealer gave me retail for my Trac and gave me my Tundra for trade value--- this only occured because my father's businesses do a lot of purchases from this dealer. Fortunately, they made the right decision.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am scared of transmission shops. I took an older car in once for a flush. When I got it back, I had no reverse, and soon after no other gears. I think they messed it up hoping I would come back to have it fixed. It is bad when you have to worry about who is fixing your car. :(