Leaking Antifreeze Question - Power Steering Cooler?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Boer

Reaction score
Good evening fellow SportTrac'rs! It has been a while since I posted last, but you guys always have great suggestions on items I have issues with. So........here is the dilemma at hand for anyone that may be able to provide any assistance:

I came out this morning to find a small amount of antifreeze (About an ounce or two) on the driveway where the truck was parked last night. When I checked the parking lot at work at the end of the day there was nothing there, so I thought perhaps it was my other vehicle. Upon additional inspection, there were small amounts of antifreeze under the truck, but in very weird splash patterns that I couldn't quite explain. It looks as though it may be leaking through the power steering cooler (Does AF/C run through this coil?), but it doesn't seem to make sense where some of the other splashes of antifreeze were.

I attached some pics of the location where it is visible. I did check the water outlet up above as I know these are notorious for leaking around the plastic weld, but it was all clean up top. The reservoir was also at the correct level, so I am hoping I caught this before it becomes a bigger issue.

The one set of leaks is next to the oil pan, the other is along the front where the lines for the power steering cooler run.

Any input as to the potential culprit wouyld be greatly appreciated. I would replace the power steering cooler, but it doesn't seem apparent to me as to why the AF/C would be splashed in the back in this fashion. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please rescale your pic 50% or smaller. It's by far the largest I've ever seen here.

Check your thermostat housing. It's notorious for cracking. Click the link below for a detailed project on how to repair/replace it.

Sorry about the pics. I just rescaled them and reuploaded them with the same pic names.

I did check the thermostat housing as well with no issues.

Thanks for resizing, much better. Rent a coolant pressure test kit from most auto parts stores

with a fully refundable deposit. That will pinpoint the leak and eliminate any guessing. GL

Engine coolant doesn't run through the power steering cooler. IMO, you're seeing coolant drip from that area because airflow while driving has spread the leaking coolant around. There have been many Gen1 posts on this site about thermostat housing leaks. I'd look there and also the radiator. A cooling system pressure test would be helpful.

The thermostat housing leak can be very hard to diagnose. The most important clue is the leak next to the oil pan. Let it get hot and look to see if coolant is running down the front of the block. When the housing went in the Mustang it was easy to spot. There is more open space to see in the car than my ST. Also how many miles are on the Sport? According to most folks on All Ford Mustangs most leaks occur at 70 to 80 thousand miles, our went to 120K before letting go. Good luck, follow the link mentioned above and enjoy the bonding time and accomplishment.

Mine went out about at 145,000 miles. We replaced it and believe it or not, I am at 161,000 miles and it looks like it is about to go out again, because I see coolant sitting on top of it. Its a job that I really did not want to do again so soon.

I've replaced both the thermostat housing & the power steering cooler on my '01 [w/155k miles]. And my son replaced the thermostat housing on his '05 [w/195k+ miles].

Both of our thermostat housings blew while on the highway w/out notice, his first, then mine a few weeks later @ different mileages. Mileage wise his original housing lasted longer than mine.

And I've already had to replace my radiator, the plastic side tank blew out.

Latest posts