Leaking thrid Brake Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
My 07 ST seems to have developed a leak at the rear sliding window. The ceiling is wet right under the brake light and the water runs along the window opening. I definately checked to make sure it wasn't coming from the window.

I seem to remember that someone has also had the same problem and discovered it was leaking through the third brake light. Does anyone know how to repair this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this from a link by JustKevin:

I have read of other members with the same experience.

I too had an issue.

It's difficult to say whether yours is the same cause as mine, but it might be worth checking into. . . .

The two screws, that hold the 3rd brake light on, each have a tiny rubber ring.

I'd check the rings out.

The first time I installed my Recon replacement, I didn't notice the rubber rings and I got a water leak.

I backed out the screws, realigned the rubber and it stopped leaking.

Keep in mind though that the rubber breaks down each time you remove and replace the screws (the threads tear into it).

My are now disintegrated, so I dropped a little silicon glue (GOOP) in the holes, let it dry and threaded the screws through.

IMO, its now more water-proof than ever.

-"JustKevin"-

I'll give it a try this week.

What I do when installing the light is this...

Loosen screws.

Push down on the light with 1 hand hard but not hard enough to crack it

Tighten the screws

DO NOT use the screws to pull the light down

Wait 5 min and push on the light with both hands, IF it moves down, Hold and tighten...

Doing that so far I have not had any leaks...

Todd Z

Latest posts