leaking tstat housing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYAN TURNER 2

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace the tstat housing? I live in az and have a leaking housing and want to know if anyone has done this before. I wonder why ford would make this piece out of plastic. I mean heat plus the freezing cold air doesnt work to well together I dont think this thing is built ford tough. Just like their customer service is crap also. Again just my thaughts.

Off topic how many of you looked at your origonal window sticker and saw you didnt have everything that was on the sticker, like floor mats, that come stock from the factory, or 16 in wheels that they come stock with. I just have to say I baught mine at mel clayton ford in phx, az and would say I will never go there to buy parts, service, or even trade this thing in. I have to say they will screw you every way they can.

Pretty rare for the T-stat housing to leak. Pull it and check out the O-ring to make sure it is not damaged creating the issue.

I had a slight leak from it, it took months of "could not reproduce" until I went ballistic on some new service advisor chick that was working me for a good review on the service questionaires.

I think they may have changed the gasket or the o-ring. If you're not comfortable working on it, and if it is time to have them done, just go have the t-stat changed, (may as well have the cooling system flushed, and/or hoses changed) so you kill 2 birds in the shop. They'll need to make sure the system is not leaking.

no its not the gasket if you look at the housing with the cover that goes to the upper hose it is leaking from where they mold the two pieces of plastic together. So no luck there I thaught it was that and then pulled it apart and found it wasnt. and of course ford doesnt have this part in stock special order. I mean come on why have something that could easily break not in stock.

GM also uses plastic housing on their quad 4 engines and possibly others. Cost savings that probably workd as well as the cast units if installed properly.