Leaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Chong

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It is me again with another question about my 2003 XLT 4x4. Last night, as I was cleaning the truck, I noticed that the left side of the truck is lower then the right side. I went and got the measuring tape and sure enough, the right side is 0.5" taller then the left. Is this a common thing for ST and can it be adjusted some how? I do plan to change my shock in the future, when I have more money. But if I can adjust it now, I would rather do that then wait. It is going in on Tuesday for my front axle leak fix and I will point that out to the service advisor as well and maybe they will fix it for me under the warranty.

Thanks again.

Which is the left side? It's common for the driver's side to lean alittle lower than the passenger just because there is more activity on that part of the truck. Since there's always somebody getting into the driver's seat, it can droop from the stress. You can adjust the torsion bars to fix the nuisance, but from what I've heard, there isn't any problem with it being lower. It shouldn't affect any other functioning parts, but it is rather annoying. I remember one member mentioned it to his service advisor when he went in for work and they corrected it.

I have the same thing and Hal clued me in. Its very common not just with st's but with fords, maybe others too, they or you can correct it with the torsion bars, keep me posted, if its easy I might do mine instead of waiting until I take it in.

Sorry about the counfusion. You are right, STChat, it is the driver side and yes, it is rather annoying. I don't mean to be ignorant, what is the torsion bars and where is it located? Pictures would help a lot if possible.

Thanks.

I think it's referred to as the Ranger's Lean, even though it happens on a number of Ford vehicles, and it probably happens on other vehicles too. It's just that one side always has weight in it. I just ignore mine.

Budmelon,

I brought my 04 into the dealership because of alignment issues and metioned that i had a lean on the drivers side. Even though they said it caused no problems they corrected it under warranty to my request by adjusting the torsin bolts.

Because I was already in for alignment issues they were going to apply a camber kit anyways. But depending on the severity of adjustments to the torsion bolts you may need a camber kit.

In the end Ford pretty much paid for lowering and aligning my front end b/c I asked them to bring it down an inch at an even level. Just a thought if that was something you were planning on doing.

Jason

Mine did it in its young days, pissed me off, took it to dealer, adjusted torsion bars, never happend again. Warranty work.

But I noticed it would lean on the left while driving, I felt lopsided, and I swear it took curves differently.

Well, I got it back from the dealership and they adjusted the torsion bars and not it is level with the naked eyes. It is under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Thank god for the warranty.

Anyways, thanks again everyone for letting me know about the torsion bars and it can be done easily. I still don't know where the torsion bars are so if some one feels like taking a picture and point it out to me, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Latest posts