Learned something new about the ST the hard way..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
I won't bore you all with the details of what a long week it has been. But I had to move my ST out from my parking space the night before last. I moved it up on the hill so the sprinkler guy could work over my truck. (gotta love apt living.) Anyway, I get up for work yesterday, start up the ST and wait a sec for it warm up. I also had to write some stuff down in the checkbook. All of a sudden it just died. I knew right away what it was. I was parked up on the hill, nose down and it ran out of gas. Would not start. I had a quarter tank of gas and it still wasn't enough. I borrowed the girlfriends car to get 2 gallons. Put it in and it started right up. Looks like I will never go below half-a-tank again. Anybody else have this happen?

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I haven't experienced this but I have not let my 07 get that low on gas "yet". The key word is "yet", but I would think that a quarter tank of gas should be plenty even when parked on a steep grade. You must have really been on a steep grade. Post a pic so we can see how steep the hill was....

happened to me twice once at work and like sst i just rolled it down hill and it started up. second was on todd z's driveway only thing is his moms car was in front of me. all idid was turn the key 2-23 times to charge the fuel pump and pumped the gas like hell it started up and i backed out as fast as i could. his driveway is almost 90 degrees:lol::lol:

paulh :cool:

Yes same thing has happened to me twice before in my parents driveway. All I did was coast it down the driveway till its flat and then it starts right away.

I believe the early model Sport Tracs had similar problems due to the poor baffling inside the fuel tank. This makes the gas gauge fluctuate more than 1/4 of a tank if you parked on an incline. That also accounts for why it can't suck up fuel on an incline.

I have personally never encounter this problem, but rarely drive with less than 1/4 tank of fuel and it's pretty flat around here.

...Rich

This has happened with my wifes Explorer. I simply took it out of park and rolled it into the road where it is more level.

It is not so much that we have a steep driveway, it has more to do with her taking the tank so low.. LOL

The Trac I can run a good 50 miles on Empty. My Astro you don't want to mess with though, anything under 1/4 tank and you're on seriously borrowed time and better hope you're going downhill.

I wish I could have. However, I was nose down against a parking block. I would have had to push it out. We all know the ST is not that light.

It's probably not a good idea to let the tank go below 1/4 full too often. The fuel pump is actually lubricated by the fuel. Running it low too often will shorten the life of the pump.

Latest posts