leasing vehicles overseas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Deroche

Reaction score
do they lease vehicles overseas ? i know its random but im in the military and could be going overseas soon so i was just wondering if they leased vehicles

Do you want to lease and take it overseas? It is rare that the lender will let you take the vehicle out of conus, it is tough to do even when you have financed the vehicle for purchase. Call USAA or one of the credit unions that deals with the military (such as Navy Federal -- www.navyfcu.org) and talk to them.

If you are talking about leasing once over there, not sure. Most of the folks I know buy hand me down cars from others that are leaving the location and just drive them until the wheels fall off.

Bderoche,

I have never heard of anyone leasing a vehicle overseas. Gerald is right that most people just buy something over here or ship something they already own. My advice would be to buy some reliable used car in the US and let the military ship it. Used cars in the US are generally cheaper than overseas and since you have shipped a car over you have authorization to send one back. If you are going to Europe this allows you to sell your used car on the "lemon Lot" and ship back something like a brand-new BMW which you can buy cheaper over here.

If you bring a used US-spec car overseas I would go with a Toyota since they are generally reliable and I never had a problem getting parts for my Corolla either in Portugal or Turkey when I owned it. American-make cars are a nightmare overseas, because you have to order all parts from the US. Something simple like a bad starter can keep you out of business for a couple of weeks if you have to order it through the mail.

Don't expect a new car warranty for a US bought car to be good overseas. I found out about this the hard way with my 2006 Mazda 3. It has been parked almost a year now with a blown engine which Mazda will not fix over here. Still saving to get a new motor...

Ford and Gm are reliable too, but you can't find the dang parts in Europe. In Turkey we got a bad load of gas at the base service station. My colleagues all had American vehicles. I carted those guys around in my Toyota for two weeks while they waited for new fuel filters from the US. :)