LED Conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Sacco

Reaction score
I was considering coverting turn/running lights to LED. Has anyone done this yet? If so, did it make a difference? I'm running into a lot of questions about brightness, do I need load resistors, etc. :blink:

They are brighter, and yes you will need the resistors, BUT I believe they now sell the lights with the resistors built in or a flasher that does the correction...

Todd Z

You don't need the resistors if you just install an electronic flasher relay. I installed one when I converted my rear tail light bulbs to LED's, and everything works just fine. It was about $12 at Auto Zone. Just ask for an "EP27" flasher.

Thanks guys! After reading the article, just want to clarify something. I need the LED to match the color of the lens for max brightness, right? ie.. red LED for rear running/brake, and amber for front.

Actually you could use white LED's in the tail/brake lights and the light would be brighter. If you use Red LED's the light will not be as quite as bright, but the light will be more intensely red.

It is also legal in many states to use white lights in the front turn signals. I was suprised to see that in Texas, it's legal to use amber brake lights as well as red???

...Rich

I have white leds in the front of mine, but you should use the red led through red lens. I did the white led through red lens and it was not as bright.

Richard , I researched the lights about a month ago and from what I found in the books, it says in Texas you can have amber/white turn signals in the front only. not to shoot yah down or anything.

Boodro

Last edited by a moderator:
Boodro

I didn't say you could not have white front turn signals in Texas, only that they were illegal in some states. I did not check to see if Badger lived in Texas. What I did say was that I was suprised to see that Texas lets you have amber or red brake lights...I have never seen a vehicle in Texas or anywhere in the USA that had amber brake lights, but they are legal in Texas.

...Rich

Oh, my bad, misread, was not trying to point it out or anything just lettin peeps know. And on the amber lights on the back, I never stopped to think about it, because im so used to seeing them here.

Boodro