LED Lighting question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
Well after several years of trying I finally got myself onto my local Fire Department, for which I am quite excited about. Anyrate I now need to outfit my trac with strobes and leds for responding to the station. And don't worry after I get it all done I will be sure to post pics and videos of the setup. :) My question is I would like install some whelen TIR3 Leds (they are a flush mount 1x3 roughly light head) on my mirrors. Now can I screw those into the housing and route wiring through the mirror with no issues? The wire bundle and hole should all be less than a quarter of an inch. Is this something feesable? I have seen it on other vehicles but I have never seen it on a trac. I have included a link so you can get the idea of the light size. Thanks! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to do that with little problem. Both of our demo's have the lamps screwed to the housings. The LED's use very small wires which you should be able to route easily. Just a suggestion here, check out SoundOff Signal and Star Products as they have some really neat new stuff. Whelen is overpriced, a pain to deal with and changes their design (discontinuing the previous models) so often that it gets real expensive to keep up with them. I was in charge of the parts department for a major municipality before retiring and Fire truck lights were a major headache! I now work for a company that is a distributor for most all brands of warning lighting (including Whelen). SoundOff outsells Whelen here by at least 2 to 1. If you're going hide-a-way lamps, do strobes not the new LED's. They just don't show as well.

Sound Off car. Foggy morning, sorry for the quality.

3d67d415f69cea6a0d0544e438360ef2.jpg

Star Products car.

5ed8aa2529d0c9d281398bec7ba079e7.jpg

Thanks for the reply Steve. I should have mentioned that I was just using Whelen as an example. I don't really have a brand preference. But thank you for the information as I will look into Soundoff instead. I think I actually had a strobe kit from them years ago in one of my vehicles. I do intend on doing a hideaway setup but not with LEDs. I found it to be quite cost prohibitive for me to do so. I will be using strobes for the corners and LED's for the dash, grille, and mirrors.

I found that a 90w Strobe Hideaway Kit on eBay goes for around 200$. For the same thing in LED was atleast 400$ or more. I can't believe how much more they are. I prefer LED only because they show no color when off and I think that looks better. Is there anyway I can get a catalog from your company as the website wasn't working for that part. Thanks.

i have purchased from alot of venders over the years here are a few good sites to buy from

www.needlights.com

www.galls.com

www.rimindustries.com i have purchased leds from here they are the best for ur buck and u can buy them by the inch

www.ultrbrightlightz.com

www.strobesnmore.com

ebay also but be careful

what fire department r u with?professional or volunteer

I am a volunteer or uh well I guess they call it a "call" firefighter now because we are paid. Basically its just a part time job I guess. I work in the next town over which is called Sutton. I am with Company 2. I am very proud to have joined the brotherhood of firefighters. :cool:

Latest posts