LEDs dome lights under $4.00

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Driver

Reaction score
Having read the posts about changing dome lighting over to LEDs, I looked into it: Radio Shack LEDs around 2-3 dollars each cost way too much. Online LEDs are cheaper, but I don't need 100 LEDs and resistors. Looking around my area there doesn't seem to be an electronic components supplier close, so I went looking for an other option.

I was in an Auto Zone the other day, getting a water pump, another story, and found a two-for deal on LED flash lights. Hey hey just over 2 dollars and they have 9 bright white LEDs each. They require 3 AAA batteries each, now all I need are resistors to bring 12 volts down to under 4.5 +/- volts, and find a way to mount them in the dome light housing. After some testing found that a 125-180 ohm 5 watt resister will bring the voltage down to the levels needed. About 50 cents each.

[Broken External Image]:

Start by disassembling the flash light. All you need is the LED circuit board in the business end of the light. Looking at the back of the LED board, the spring in the center is the "+" 12 volt and the outside edge of the board is the "-" common.

[Broken External Image]:

Remove the dome light (covered in other threads) and remove the bulbs. Then solder #16 size wires (colors of your choice) about 4 inches long, two to the "-" (common) and two, (one each) to the "+" (12 volt) switched sides of the light socket. Make sure the contacts will not short out. Run the wires around the reflector and through the hole, down to the center of the socket.

[Broken External Image]:

Solder one end of a 125 ohm, 5 watt resister to the center "+" conector of LED board, the other end to the "+" 12 volt switched wire. Solder one of the "-" common wire to the "-" side of the LED board. Finally secure the LED board to the dome light socket (I used a little silicone). Repeat on the other side of the dome light.

[Broken External Image]:

After a little testing reinstall the dome light assembly and you're all done.

Total cost under 4 dollars.

What the LEDs look like at night

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts