Leer or A.R.E. tonneau cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Smith 3

Reaction score
I am looking a 3 tonneau covers. they are:

Leer 700 series

A.R.E. LSll series

OEM ford hard top folding

Does anybody have one of these?

Which is better the Leer or the A.R.E.?

Can you tell me how you feel about them, what to look for or avoid or about anybody

you know that has one, how they feel.

You might want to take a look at the Advance cover sold by one of the sponsers, Elite Covers.

It is light and can be easily removed if needed. The non-folding covers are nice, but limit the use of your bed. I have had both and I prefer the Advance cover. I can put it on and take it off by myself.

Cut and pasted from another post I made:

I have an A.R.E. LSII tonneau, color-matched, with carpet liner and 12V light, and installed for $866. It's heavy and it restricts rear vision some, but it's nothing you can't get used to. It is installed using the factory mounts, which means no drilling. Removal would be simple if it weren't for its heavy weight (I've yet to try it). It is sturdy, water tight, opens via gas shocks, and compatible with my bed extender. It has a neat and sturdy locking mechanism too. Most of all, it looks great inside and out. I love it!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I have the A.R.E which is painted to match the Trac color. It is quiet, looks great, latches and locks, and it comes off/adjusts by four mounting mounting bolts at the corners. Downside- it seems to chip easily, restricts the rear view a little, and is a two man job to remove - unless you set up some slings on the garage ceiling.

I have a colormatched ARE

My ST is a 4x4 car with a REALLY BIG TRUNK.... hehe ;)

The ARE cover is nice, but don't plan on removing it often....

If you want a Trunk, get the ARE..

If you want versitility, go with a lighter setup.....

My $1.250 worth... eh,, inflation.... :lol:

Hope this helps

KatManT