Lesson Learned: Read FedEx Forms Carefully

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Just a warning to shippers: When you ship FedEx, please read the form carefully. I did not. And for me doing what I do, this was pure stupidity.

With ground shipping, you must opt for a signature. In my haste, I did not (or, alternatively, thought I did). Now, Mike F. does not have his PIAA 510s, and I do not have $150. I sent back Mike's PayPal payment, as the loss should fall on me, or at least I should bear the loss until FedEx runs through its claims process.

The shipment shows 'delivered.' I Google-Mapped the area (not to intrude on his privacy, heh), and I realized it appears to be a college town/apt. complex. Thus, the lack of a signature really, really dropped the ball. Mike's filing a police report and checking with neighbors, and I am going to challenge FedEx's claim of delivery, but it seems fruitless because the cards are stacked incredibly high against me. My only hope is that either Mike was around at the time of delivery, or that a roomate was, or anything in between.

So, again, use your peanuts when you're shipping via FedEx. And read. Or, you'll be out $350 (no lights, no money) like me. :(

Did you insure it for the $150 or $350 (unsure what the value is by reading your post). UPS covers the first $100 and you have to specify any amount past that.

I've never had one of these issues where UPS did not step up to rectify it. I never use Fed Ex so I am unsure with them.

I insured to $150 (which is all I would like to recover--that way, the buyer has his money back because I refunded already, and I have $150, which would have been the payment from the buyer).

I'm in the process of composing a letter, attaching exhibits, and researching a little part of the law involving burdens of proof on a bailor/bailee.

The insurance is only in the event that the item is damaged or lost in transit. FedEx shows that they delivered the item, but due to it not requiring a signature, it was probably left outside his door and stolen by someone walking by. They had already done their part, their liability is now gone.

Adam,

At least you're a stand-up guy, and refunded Mike's money. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who would've kept the money, and told Mike, "T.S."

Good luck with your claim.

Adam - my girlfriend used to work for fedx and unless you signed that it was ok to leave it with out a signature or if the person recieving it has a signature on file it's ok, otherwise fedx is on the hook for the package. Employees have been fired for not getting a signature.

Stick to your guns and you should get a refund from Fedx.

I work for fedex express (orginal fedex not ground) and under current policy unless it is marked as signature required (which also costs extra) then the driver has the option of leaving the package without a signature. When I ship using ground I always over insure the package so that the delivery driver has no option but obtain a signature at delivery. I am not supprised by the fedex ground driver leaving the package since they dont seem to be a bright bunch. I always take the package to the apt office after making a delivery attempt. I will double check with a ground manager that I know and see if there is any other recourse. Sorry to hear about your loss.

FedEx shows that they delivered the item, but due to it not requiring a signature, it was probably left outside his door and stolen by someone walking by. They had already done their part, their liability is now gone.

Dan,

Indeed. The wrinkle in this issue is that the only party that would easily see the package was a neighbor. Unless the would-be thief saw the FedEx truck and knew Mike was not there, it is doubtful that the party would have any reason to investigate. My hope? is that the package was delivered to a wrong address. Mike's out of town, but I when he returns, I'm going to see if he can ask his neighbor whether s/he went out at all at or after the delivery time, and whether s/he saw any package. If not, there is at least some light circumstantial evidence that the package never made it to the right address.

It's a low chance, but at this point, I'm ready to drive to CT and check pawn shops. It's the principle.

Signature is now an option a with all Fedex packages not just ground. You have to check the last box on the form if you want a signature or not, or an in-direct signature (i.e. neighbor). It is cutting down attempt times and driving time in rural areas. Our policy is to attempt to get a signature three times and then send it back to the shipper.

fmarano is right if it does not required a signature 9 times out of ten it is left at the door.

I own 2 routes in fla, With Mike living in an apt complex I would not have left them.

but Fed Ex pays ground contractors by the stop and package