License Plate Bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillip W

Reaction score
How do you remove the license plate bulbs, the manual shows that it pulls out from the back but I cant really get to the back. Does the housing pop out from the front?? I see a notch in it but dont want to break anything. :rolleyes:

I got one out from the back, but the other wasn't forthcoming, so I popped it off with the notch, and separated the piece that you see on the outside (black dome thing) from the light socket, and ultimately had to glue those 2 pieces together.

It seemed like it was 2 pieces, and that you could remove it with the notch, but the plastic just broke when I did it, but I see where you're coming from on the back bulb removal method, it was a pain.

There are two clips you have to press down on the backside. It's easy to access (at least, I don't have a hitch, so it is for me. You push the clips inward and then push the whole thing forward out the bumper.

like jeff said there are a few clips... if u have a hitch like me... ur not gonna like doing it lol

it was hard as crap for me to get my hands between the hitch and the bulbs... took bout 10mins trying to figure out how to snake my hands through and finally get them

and that was the easy part...

then u gotta snake ur hands back through and snap it back in... urgh...

so much easier without the hitch then u can actualy see what u are doing.

I can feel the clips but what a pain in the @ss........I cant get to one side but not the other, but it was also night time. This will be fun :(

I have an '02 with no hitch. I felt for the clips but didn't find them. Turns out that they twist out from the back. Pop out the old bulb and put in a new one. To put in back in, you have to line it up and twist it back into place.