Licensing in Colorado

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Antcliff

Reaction score
I just bought a 4wd 01 sport trac and I'm moving up to colorado at the end of the month. I still have the temporary on it and I've already paid the tax on it and everything. I've been looking everywhere to get some idea of what I'm going to pay to license it in Colorado but everywhere just says it depends on the vehicle and and the can't give me a quote. Can anyone give me a rough figure on what it cost them to register in Colorado? Thanks for your help.

I don't know if this applies to you or not, but if I am not mistaken, some states actually charge you tax when you bring it into the state, even if tax has already been paid to another state where you once resided.

Tom

Most states do this. They usually call it a usage tax, instead of sales tax though. I'd set aside at least $500-$800 to register that truck.

Fortunately, I am in the military and am exempt. The states I been to are CO, CA, FL, and OK. Their laws may have changed over the years, but all of them would have nailed me for usage tax if I was not in the military.

I know one day I was in the title bureau, and a woman in front of me had just moved to Ohio. She had to pay Ohio sales tax to get her title transfered.

Go figure.

Tom

here is a link to CO DMV..

In delaware there is no sales tax, but a 1 time vehicle reg fee of %2.75 of vehicle cost or blue book value on used cars. even if you pay less than blue book or get it free they use actual book value...

i read on the CO DMV site that you will pay a yearly tax. that sucks... i couldn't find anything about transfering states.. but here is the link anyways..

troy

When we moved from Tennessee back to Texas, we looked into getting our little Contour licensed and inspected. It turned out that it would cost more to get it legal in Texas than it would to buy another used Contour! It's not just the licensing (about $300-350 in this case), but with 240,000 miles on it, passing the emissions test might have been a real problem. So we took it back to Tennessee to some friends who wanted it and bought a Sport Trac!

Dont know about the tax but the tags each year have to be reasonable. Had a buddy that moved from Col. and he just kept regist there with his dads address, illegal im sure but he must have saved a bunch to go through the bother

0theHero,

go to the website and email them at the "contact us" Ask your questions and Email them you vin number. and have your sale slip with you, incase they reply with questions. Better yet. there are also 800 numbers and you can call the county in which you are going to live.

dont' forget, you will also need an emmissions test and of course show proof of insurance.

hope this helps.

:)

Ok, thanks for ya'lls help, this registration thing is going to hurt. My temporary runs out soon, so I'll let you know what the damage is. Thanks again.

Zero

Most states have an agreement with neighboring states where they'll give you a discount in the amount of the tax you've already paid in the originating state. I've moved a few vehicles back and forth between Indiana and Kentucky over the years, and I've never had to pay tax twice. However, I did transfer the registration to Florida at one point, and I had to fork over quite a bit of money. So I guess the bottom line is, it depends on what state you move from and what state you move to.

Latest posts