Limited slip for Gen 2 Tracs?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
I was looking around the Ford Racing parts catalog and came across an 8.8 IRS housing. It was used in the T-bird and Mustang, Is this the same as ours? If so, would the 8.8 torsen-2 center section work? It comes in 28 spline and 31 spline, what is the Tracs? Anybody? Thanks, BC

Bob,

From what I gather, the 2nd gen Trac's have traction control. That is better than Limited Slip is since it directs power to the wheels that have traction.

I could be wrong.

Tom

+1 @ Tom..

Thats what Ford told us during the off road test drive in CA....

GOING UP !! across and down !!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Except the traction control has this annoying tendency to cut the power. I hate it. I have been told that a regular 31 spline 8.8" L/S will work but I can't say for sure.

The traction control doesn't transfer traction between the two sides of the rear end, the rear end remains open, it derates the engine to keep the tires from spinning.

(2L2Z-4026-AA) this is the part number for a limited slip unit from Ford that will work on the Gen2 Tracs. This is the same unit used in 04 Explorers.

Had to shut it off to drive in the sand at the beach in NC in my wife's '05 Mountie when we had it. It was a real PITA when it hit some deep sand and all power was cut off. Got me stuck the first time. Once shut off, drove great.

Got two feet of snow here Friday through Saturday. Traction control sucks. That is all.

Well, okay, more. When I'm in deep snow all the TC does is cut the power and you don't go anywhere. Turn the TC off so I can move and now I've got two open diffs. This certainly sucks.

Right now I miss my old '05 with limited-slip.

Johnny, that is exactly what has kept me from updating my '03 ST to a newer one. After my wife's Mountie with all that crap in there, it would drive me nuts to go through that again. Heck, even my wife's H3 has traction control, but have yet to feel it kick in, even in the deep snow we got yesterday. Not harping on Ford, love my ST, but not their TC system.

Yeah. In most respects my '08 has it all over my old '05, but if I keep it (I lease through my company) I'll definitely consider installing the '04 Explorer limited-slip.

AdrnlnRsh....have you installed that unit in your Trac? Will it screw up the traction control?

Last edited by a moderator: