Limited Slip ?????????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Acording to my door code and window sticker, I do not have LS.

Yesterday I held the brake and got the RPMS up. When I released the brake, I floored it. I laid two eqaul black marks 15ft long on concrete. I have never had any open gear do that.

Maybe my Trac is marked wrong...:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the metal tag on the axle. If you have say, 4.10 gears, the tag should have 4 10 for an open rear and 4L10 if it is a limited-slip.

I'm in agreement with JohnnyO here, if you're in doubt, check the tag on the diff cover...it is possible that while the stickers don't say you have an LS, along the way an LS got mixed in with open diffs...I wouldn't expect it, but it's possible.

Addtionally, the behaviour you describe doesn't mean you've got an LSD. Just because both tires spin doesn't mean anything...although the equal length tire marks are suspect.

You may have been able to lock the thrust washers to the gears and do it just right to get them both going....

Never know..

Jack it in the air and spin the tires..

Todd Z

I went through this, mine is non-limited slip also, but it did the same thing. A sure fire way to find out (and kinda fun) is to find a paved road and put one wheel off the road in the grass (should be the passenger side wheel). Punch it, the wheel in the grass should spin for sure, the one on the pavement will spin with it if you have LSD (and should lay a mark), but you will just creep along with one wheel spinning if it is non-LSD.

Good Luck

Latest posts