Little test I've been doing....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
I've been holding off anouncing this, but with the recent posts, figured I post it. I have had a minor 2-3 flare when cold recently. I decided to try TransX. It is sopposed to fix flares, clean the pressure valves, and clean the build up of vanish in the transmission. I've had it in for about 1 month now and no flare. Even on real cold nights. The tranny actually shifts well after putting it in. I plan on getting a flush done within the next few weeks and may put more in just to keep it clean. Just wanted to throw that out to you all. It didn't seem to be "snake-oil" for me. Maybe it could help someone else on here also. ;)

I do not recommend this, But I know a hard core racer that uses motor oil in the tranny ad a bottle of the rear diff additive....

It is weird how fluid works...

Todd Z

Jim, I think (assume, but am not 100% positive) he was talking about the racer friend of his that used motor oil in the tranny with a friction modifier. Not was Stone did.

The stuff you add from the bottles are extra "additive packages" that is in the fluid when new..

As the old fluid brakes down the additive package goes bad, not the actual base fluid....

The additives are good if using a cheep fluid or only doing a pan service, But if you service regularly you should not need any extra stuff..

Todd Z

I agree Todd. I wanted to run it through as a cleaning agent. I normally try to stay away from "additives but with the flare, I figured what could it hurt. I have as of yet to do a flush at all. I have serviced the filter and fluid change and figured I would run this in it to help clean it, then do the flush. I just wanted to let my results out there and let people make up their own mind on whether to use it or not.

Thanks for the input.;)

stomemiser,

The additive may have a stronger concentration of detergents that may clean the throttlebody valves and prevents them from sticking. That's fine if that's all it does.

Then again, it could be like Todd said, you are just replacing the depleated additives that were in the fluid and the 2-3 flare is only a symptom that your fluid need flushing.

I doubt that the additive is hurting your transmission, but it may only be hiding the real problem with your transmission which may be in need of a fluid changed. After you get the tranny flushed see if the 2-3 shift flare returns immediately. If not, then I would not use the additive anymore. If/when it does return, then there is not harm using the additive if it reduces/eliminates the shift flare.

I would beware of any product that claims to fix transmission leaks. They have ingredients that will cause the rubber seals to swell thereby sealing the transmission from leaking seals, however the additive that swells the seals also makes the seals soft and causes rapid deterioration which will eventually distroy the seals, making the condition far worse.

jim p - the flare is when the transmission shifts from 2nd gear into 3rd, there is a hesitation to make it into 3rd. Almost like 2nd does not want to let go. That's how I would describe it. I do not know technically what is happening. I personally had symptoms that went away with the performance tune I got with the Xcal2 I purchased from one of our site sponsors. The computer in the trac controls alot of what the transmission does. It is recommended to do the transmission service every 30k miles.

RichardL, heard and understood. The bottle said it cleans the tranny not that it adds the additives back to fluid. Like I said, just wanted to post the info. I will see what happens when I get it flushed. Thanks.;)