Long Distance Tow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris TosteJr

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So my stint in California is over. Its beautiful out here in the foothills/sierra area, but most everything else sucks... plus I miss my daughter; so its back to Texas for me.

I've towed 3k-4k pounds before, but those were short trips (less than 60 miles), dual axle trailers, and it they were always done with a turbo diesel f-250.

My question is what to expect with my trac. I am estimating I'll be towing about 2800lbs in a 5x8 single axle trailer w/o brakes (stupid u-haul)... and yes, i know about the explorer ban with them, but I have access to a 4runner for picking it up and a frontier for drop off :grin: I have tried to devise a route that minimizes 6%+ grades but there will inevitably be some, one of them i think is a 8%. Overall distance is ~1780 miles, 4 mountain ranges, 3 desert crossings, 2 "farm routes" and 1 continental divide, lol

I do have the 4.10 real axle, and installed a class III hitch from draw-tite if that helps any. brake pads have less than 10k miles on em, according to dealer service center, theres 8mm left on the pads.

any comments, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Installed the Roadmaster Spring assist kit with a set of coilover shocks on my 02.. This combination taised my rear 1 1/2". It tows my hydrolic dump trailer with an overall rating of 5,000 loaded . I have an automatic transmission. So, when I come to any hill i go out of overdrive. Supposed to make the transmission last longer.

My longest trip towing was 400 miles each way. Worked great.

Got the Roadmaster kit off ebay for $125. Dont remember the brand of coilovers. However, both rear and front shocks came from Rock Auto. KYB Gas Adjust KG54309 are on the front. This combination makes for a nice stable ride. No rock n roll.

I sold my high dollar diesel F250 and bought a clean, low miles 02. Then I bought the dump trailer, an enclosed trail that hauls my hunting gear. Also, a two place snowmobile trailer for my utv and gear. Now, if the Trac cant haul it, I simply hookup a trailer and go. Convenient and I had money left over.

You'll have no problems.. Just load the trailer so you have proper tongue weight. Generally, place heavy stuff over axles. Anticipate your stops. OD off, use lower gear whip going down hills.

I pull my 18' I/O boat with my track 60 miles one way up some serious hills regularly, and the trac handles just fine. Overdrive off and anticipating large hills and you'll have no issues. Transmission fluid in good shape? That's the only thing I would ensure.

Installed the Roadmaster Spring assist kit with a set of coilover shocks on my 02.. This combination taised my rear 1 1/2". It tows my hydrolic dump trailer with an overall rating of 5,000 loaded . I have an automatic transmission. So, when I come to any hill i go out of overdrive. Supposed to make the transmission last longer.

My longest trip towing was 400 miles each way. Worked great.

Got the Roadmaster kit off ebay for $125. Dont remember the brand of coilovers. However, both rear and front shocks came from Rock Auto. KYB Gas Adjust KG54309 are on the front. This combination makes for a nice stable ride. No rock n roll.

I sold my high dollar diesel F250 and bought a clean, low miles 02. Then I bought the dump trailer, an enclosed trail that hauls my hunting gear. Also, a two place snowmobile trailer for my utv and gear. Now, if the Trac cant haul it, I simply hookup a trailer and go. Convenient and I had money left over.

thanks so far everyone.

BigT1989, all new transmission fluid was put in last Oct, only got 14k miles put on since then.

I just drove around today with O/D off, one thing I am curious about is the "high" RPM's. Just doing 55mph i was running about 3k rpm, getting up to 65mph was putting in close to 3.5k rpm's Is that safe to run at for several hours?

Also, just got synthetic oil put in, replaced transfer case and rear diff fluids last Oct as well. Will be getting A/C service and coolant flush in a few days, then its off to the Alamo!

Those kinds of RPM's aren't going to hurt anything. I have to hold around 4200 for multiple minutes to get up some of the hills trailering my boat and have done that numerous times with no signs of wear.

On flats and slight long declines turn OD and let if shift into OD. Also, if you have little tailwind in these Trac's it helps.

The key to easing the effect on the Trac is anticipating downshifts, so turn OD off on flat land before your hill.

Latest posts