Longer Oil Filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HERE you go...

here is a list of lager oil filters to replace the fl820s providing you have enough room..these filters range from 5.2" high to 5.6"..:all of these have a superb flow and very low restriction...

BALDWIN B281

NAPA 551087 or1087 NAPA HAD IT IN ITS WAREHOUSE

WIX 51087

FLEETGUARD LF3315

HASTINGS LF444

CARQUEST 85592

PUROLATOR L30238

CATIPILLAR 311604

FRAM PH3616

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I have ever had with this kind of change - and I generally believe that more filter capacity is a good thing - is interference. I had a buddy do this on his jeep and the first time we went off road and the torque of the low range kicked in, it drove the lower end of the filter into a frame component and we sprung a leak. That is a rather extreme case, but in the event of a broken motor mount instead of a minor problem, you may end up with a disaster.

It can be fine, but depending on you situation, you could have issues. Engines do rock on motor mounts and a longer filter can really move around.

Our tracs oil filter, hangs straight down. Nothing in the way...

Todd, do these longer filters have the exact threads? Also the bypass valve? The anti-siphon is not critical on our tracs, because of mounting position.

Ed,

I know nothing about any other specs on the filters....... I Do believe there is only 1 or 2 with the ADBV.....

Todd Z

Uhhhh...

A filter hanging straight down is not the issue. When the engine rocks on the mounts, a long filter swings in an arc that might contact the frame or some other fixed piece of metal.

The simple answer that the filter "fits" when the car is rest is what gets you into trouble.

The ADBV is how a "will fit" filter with the same threads and mounting face gets you into trouble too.

820S Stick with it. You will gain nothing with the wrong filter.