looking for 2nd car--VW Beetle, Pontiac Bonneville or Cadi?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theresa drove a Beetle to a customer. She said driving it really sucked. Said it was uncomfortable and you could not figure our where the front bumper was.

Personally, I would go with the Cadillac.

Tom

i traded in my 99 VW beetle on the ST and i have got to say that it was the worst thing i have ever driven/owned. i had it for three years and was in the shop more than 10 times. the grand total for all of the shop bills was well over 7000. Everything from the water pump to the mass air flow senser and the tranny all went bad. there is only one thing i can say goo about the beetle ok maybe two, one great MPG like around 33-38 consistant and Two THAT IT IS GONE!!!!! dont buy a bettel parts are very expensive and most have to be shiped from Germany . hope that will steer u away from the VW...

Go with the Beetle. You can carry it around in the back of your Trac for backup, in case the ST breaks down on the road somewhere. :lol:

Seriously, I have to add to what the others have said. My neighbor had one of the new Beetles, and he got rid of it because of constant problems.

I have a car dealer as a client and he is selling a beetle - which was a personal vehicle of his. He said he'd never own another one. He's had alot of problems with it, such as the cruise control switch failing, which cost several times more to fix than a domestic vehicle.

My sister's Beetle has had 0 problems in close to 2 years. It's an '04.

[Broken External Image]:

Hey Fer. I like your sig...too bad it can't get through "Tor". Right now it says I'm in Germany...:D

When I worked at the local Ford Dealer a few years ago, I had to take a late model Beetle to a the closest authorized VW dealer for repairs in Temple, TX, about 30 miles away.

While it was a little more comfortable than the old Beetle, it was nowhere near as much fun to drive as the original. I would like the new Beetle a lot more if they built it on the same floor pan and used the same aircooled engine as the original beetles.

...Rich

VW has had reliability problems over the last few years but probably still a hundred times better then a Cadillac.

Aircooled engines would never pass the more stringent air pollution laws we now have in effect. That's why they couldn't sell them anymore here in the USA.

While the old Beetles were well-liked, they were filled with quirks (or personality if you owned one - lol)

They got terrible gas mileage... a 1300cc aircooled Beetle only got 20-25 mpg which is laughable by today's economy car standards. They had a 8 gal gas tank! lol

VW/Audi's are strange...you either get a good one, or you don't. At work we have a few repeat Beetle owners...one of them is there about every 6 weeks or so. It's usually the little things, but they nickle and dime you to death...Taking it a good import shop will save you some money over a dealer, but they can be expensive--or, you have no problems and buy another one.

The Bonneville isn't a bad car...but it's FWD, makes it difficult (and expensive) to work on.

The Caddy's are what I would get if those were my choices, the DeVille spcifically. It doesn't feel as nice as a BMW or Benz, but it's isn't bad. It feels like a dressed up Chevy (and it is), like the luxury is added on, not built in.

You should consider a BMW 3 or 5 series. Good cars. Take care of them, and they will take care of you.