looking for a PONTIAC FIERO

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
i always liked the pontiac fiero and have been checking some out. i know the engine fire deal, but wan't to know if you have any experience with these vehicles. could go either way with a 4 or 6 cyl, but prefer the 6.

they are not that expensive and i think they will increase in value over time ( but that is not what i wan't it for )

appreciate any input, thanks

v6 only, the 4 banger is a nightmare...

and No further comment....

Todd Z

Get an '88 GT V6 5-speed.

General Motors made significant upgrades to the Fiero in '88, and they finally made a decent car. Of course we all know what happened then: they cancelled production after '88.

You can easily mount a V-8 in the Fiero!

When I was in high school my friend had a limited edition indy pace car model. It looked good, but he had a lot of problems out of it. We stopped to get gas and when I opened the door passenger door it fell of. Literally fell off onto the ground. We picked it up and I held it in place until we got to his house. I dont know what broke or why, but at the time it was funny (well, not really).

That was in 1988 and I believe it was a 1984 model.

I had a 88 2.4 with 5 speed. I loved it! Wish I still had but but I too am looking for a 88 gt to do a motor sway with a 350! There are peoblems with the northstar swap and there is a place here in Alabama that does a 4.9 cadilic motor swap.

Gary S:

I have owned an 1986 Fiero GT 5 speed with 36,000 actual miles and the V-6, 5 speed was great to drive powerwise. I bought my son an 88 4 cylinder auto for his 1st car and although the power was just OK, it handled like a dream. It had issues but I think the biggest issue was a 16 year old male behind the wheel ( The back tires were bald to the cord in 4 month. These were new BFG T/A's and it was a 4 cylinder car!).

The 1988 is the way to go whether you go 4 or 6 cylinder because of the better suspension. I like the 5 speed but auto is nice too. Either the GT or the SE with the ground effects looks the best. The 1988 only FORMULA is nice since it has the better suspension, is lighter than the GT's and comes with a V6. The early 4 cylinders had the fire problem (it had something to do with GM management knowingly using bad parts in the engines). I thought the Fiero was a pretty sturdy car and I think even rated with Volvo's in crash test. I'D own another one!

You can swap many engines in - Small Block Chevy's, 3800 with or without the SC, Cadillac 4.9 and Northstar among others. Ther 3800 SC and Caddie Northstar are my favorites. See FieroAddiction.com for some awesome swaps and a neat T/A like air scoop.

FieroDave is a good site (http://www.fierodave.com/). Also get on the Pennock's Fiero Forum for info. The Fiero Webring has a lot of good sites.

If you ever get one, email me and I'll give you some tips on the care of your Fiero. Some of these were learned the hard way.

Take Care,

Gary (also once known as FIEROGRAPHIX.NET)
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone, i really do not know much about them and your info is very helpful.

gary g, thanks, will do and david j, nice , looks like it's in great shape, is it for sale ? :)

Gary,

I second everything Gary G. said. Especially about Pennock's Fiero Forum.

Of course, I'm a little bit more partial to the '87's

[Broken External Image]:

Chris

A friend here at work did the 3800 SC swap into a 1984. Not positive about the year. Pretty slick.

I've been looking at them ever since I found that I would actually fit in one. My wife had one just before we started going out, and she loved to drive it when it was running. That wasn't often enough, though. It seemed to get a perverse joy out of stranding her in out of the way places. But a new V6 or V8 might change the situation for her. I would probably start with an '88 model, since I understand they finally got the suspension working properly that year.

Check out V8 Archie's for some info on V8 conversions. I may be starting one of these projects after I get the house straightened out. Oh, and swap a 302 into the Trac!:D

Latest posts