Looks like my tranny...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
shit the bed.

Dealer wants $2500 to replace it.

Not sure what to do now. It has not given me a minutes trouble until I couldn't get over 35 on the way home from work yesterday. No codes, no lights. Seemed odd to me, but the dealer said his machine read a bad tranny code.

Need to check my extended warranty (Its in the vehicle at the dealer). If its covered, I'll get a new one. If not...

CRAP:sad:

If it's not covered, find a reliable local shop and you will probably get it done for about 1/2 the cost...

Usually, the OD light will start to flash with a tranny problem. Might ask the dealer what code it threw???

Last edited by a moderator:
ask what kind of warranty you would get on the one from the dealer. Some have a 100K warranty on the new/rebuilt tranny which is transferable, it would depend on how many miles you have on it now, if you want to keep it etc.,

Get a second opinion, if it is the same end result, then compare prices vs. warranty.

$2500 is not a bad price from a dealer to be honest, that said, if they give you good coverage, it may be worth doing.

Re-builders will probably be closer to $1500 ish I would think.

Dealer said the code meant the trans was bad.....B.S. No code means that the trans is bad. If they are going to tell you that the trans is bad by just driving it with the scan tool hooked up then you need to go elsewhere.

As I said,,, second opinion is in order..

The light NEVER flashed when you drove it but SUDDENLY it shows itself when they drive it and the single code says the tranny is bad,,,, Hmmmmm...

Did I mention second opinion....

I am not saying the tranny is not bad, only saying that it is worth a second look.

OK, I unhooked the battery for 1/2 hour and re-hooked it.

All symptoms are gone. I drove for a half an hour with no issues whatsoever.

My warranty is up in 29 days.

Man, what a dilemma...if the warranty company will buy me a new tranny, should I go for it?

Should I blow the whole thing off?

Should I go to a tranny shop and let them make the call?

PS. I live in a one dealer town, very small. The next closest dealer is 50 miles away.

If you can get a replacement while under coverage, it is something I believe I would seriously consider.

Could have been nothing more than a glitch, or, you could have an issue in 30 days.

Tranny problems are usually not intermittent.

If you have the option of a warranty replacement, do it, NOW.

How can you lose? :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a scene, throw a fit, threaten a lawsuit........get it replaced under warranty, whatever it takes. I like Ford, but they won't "jump" to replace your tranny........you'll have to force the issue. Go directly to the dealership's owner........demand an audience and demand satisfaction. However, having said that, if you haven't serviced the tranny regularly and you don't have proof of that, you may have a weaker position.

The warranty company will NOT replace my transmission. They told me to take it to a local transmission repair place for them to diagnose the problem and then they will make a determination on if they will pay or not.

To create the transmission slip all you need to do is change program with an Xcal and return to stock. It will start to flare in no time. The problem is that I didn't do that and it still slipped.

Tranny shop called and told me my pan was full of things that shouldn't be in there (actually, I guess they should be in there, just still attached in the right place).

They are in contact with the warranty company.

Details to follow.