loud hum/slight vibration in front end 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rey Gonzalez

Reaction score
I've had this annoying hum in the front end for a couple of weeks mostly seems to be from the front right side. I thought it was my tires (BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A) so I had them rotated and front end alignment checked at Firestone (alignment was all good). The sound was still there, so I was not very confident that they actually rotated the tires, so I did it again myself just to rule out the tire. So At this point I'm thinking its the wheel hubs or something in the 4x4 assembly. Has anyone had problems with the wheel hubs going bad, or know if they are problematic on this vehicle? Also, I only have 73,000 miles on the Trac? I'm taking it in this week to the dealer to have it checked out. Thanks for any info.

I should also have said that it engages 4h and 4l with no problem, the hum is during 2wheel drive 'normal' operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very similar problem on my 2001 4x4, except it's the front driver's side tire. It's especially noticeable when I'm making a left turn, the hum and vibration get much more pronounced. This only started to happen after I switched out my summer wheels and tires for my winter Bridgestone Duelers and stock rims. I have 61,000 miles on the ST and 4wd engages normally as well.

yup, sounds like the front wheel bearings. lift the front wheels and spin it to check for noise or play. although i did this before and did not notice any noise, the humming went away when the bearings were replaced.

hth

Turn out to be the left front wheel hub/bearings gone bad. Deal replace it and lower ball joints under warranty. My rental was also covered. Not a bad deal all around. The hum is gone. thanks

This weekend I had the same issue on my left front. I had it fixed by a local dealer to the tune of $600 for the hub assembley and 2 new tie rods. I have 80,000 miles on my 2003 and have had a few issues with the front end (tie rods, ball joints, control arms) in the past.

Latest posts