Louder = Better ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
If replacing the stock exhaust with a freer flowing one means better performance, and the freer flowing ones subsequently being louder by design, does this mean that louder is better with regards to performance? For instance, would a Flowmaster DF 40, which is louder than the DF 50, yield better mileage and more power of the two?

that's how mine worked out, but for me more performance just happened to be louder. Ask Wayne, he'll back me up. :)

Not necessarily..........read this tech info. http://popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index1.html

Flip, On a v8 or big block engine I will say yes, But not allways true... Look at the NASCAR setups, Indy and stuff like that. They have "tuned" exhausts. But with the ST any thing is an improvement, And i don't think you will notice anything from on to the other.

You need some type of back pressure....

Todd Z

i have the dynomax exhaust kti on my 01, its not the loudest but damn did i feel an increase in power!

forgot to add...my friend and i just put an IMCO exhaust on his '01 f-150, i know its not a S/T but his his loud as hell but it didnt gain anything (power) that was noticible

Last edited by a moderator: