Lower Ball Joint Orientation question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Just received my new Movetech lower ball joints...but with zero instructions. There is a small white dot on the top, which is located near the outer rim. Both ball joints have the same dot, but no other markings. My understanding is that some ball joints can be elliptical, thus proper orientation is critical before pressing them in place. Searching the web indicates markings should be orientated to the outside, but does anyone know regarding Movetech products?

Yea, silly me...its Mevotech. Anyway, I did email them by using their site "contact us" form.

I do have the 8695 part, but mine is the "terrain tough" ball joint so a slightly different part, but close. I didn't see a white dot on the video, nor did he say anything about orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the answer I got back from Mevotech:

"There is a grease relief in the boot that looks like a notch with a small hole in the middle. It is designed to let out excesses grease if you put too much in. Place that notch towards the inside of the vehicle. Sorry we haven?t included instructions. If you have any questions, please contact us."

I see the relief hole in the boot, so I'll place that toward the inside.

Grease relief valve, same as Moog. Thanks for the follow up.

The quality of the mevotech ball joint seemed outstanding. They were tough going in though. Mine are the "terrain tough" edition. Can't compare with MOOG lowers, but the MOOG upper assembly seemed cheap, and for one side the bushings were different and didn't fit right. Sent them back.

Latest posts