Lower ball joint replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
I need to replace the lower ball joints (one has some play) and I was wondering if anyone has the procedure for a 2004 2WD. I see that there is a project for this, but it's for a front wheel drive ST. Not sure if there is a difference of not. Thanks.

Pretty much the same Just the brakes and Rotors are different.

Todd Z

I have only 80K miles..all on street, but drivers side lower joint is slightly loose. I plan on replacing both lower sides...but should I change the top ball joints too?

Ditto Yardsale. I had a difficult time separating the lower tapered studs from the spindles. Tried everything until I used a jack under the loosened castle nut and hit the

LCA from the top. Only disconnected the outer tie rods to replace them. Working for NASA you probably know freezing the ball joints make them much easier to press in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have some torque specs...the nut on the bottom ball joint...the bolts that hold the caliper assembly...the top bolt near the upper ball joint? Thanks.

Also, had my wife call a few places...and yes the upper needs to be a full assembly if working on OEM upper.

Really not that difficult using the proper tools. I'd say at least half the members with Gen 1 ST's have replaced them. Everyone's here to help if you get in a bind. :supercool:

Thanks...been working on cars for a long time...just never had to do anything major on my ST as of yet. Recently noticed an issue and took it to an honest shop...he found the driver side lower ball joint slightly loose, my toe-in/out was mainly causing the issue, and that one side needed the cam kit. Found these videos helpful for anyone doing this kind of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9O_cOB2MTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HdJ8DgvNmY

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=installing+a+camber+kit+ford+explorer

Get the ball joint press kit from harborfreight.com item #4065. Use the 20% coupon. Takes a little to figure out how to use it.

There are sellers on ebay selling the whole kit with upper/lower ball joint & tie rod end kits for just under $100. Quality is fine, I've had them in over a year and no issues.

If you are going to the trouble of doing the lowers then do the uppers too.

Clean, de-rust and paint the brake shields while your at it.

Saturday afternoon job.

After you finish take it to an alignment shop.

When removing the lower ball joint the press would not do it by itself for me. I had to tighten it up as much as possible, then smack the cup pushing on the ball joint with a hammer to get it to release. And please remember to remove the ring clip first!

The OEM upper control arms have to be replaced to get a new upper ball joint, but some parts manufacturers make a new upper control arm that has removeable ball joints. It may be a little more up front, but you have to decide just how long you are going to keep your Trac. And check for grease fittings! One of my new upper control arms had a ball joint that was not drilled for a grease fitting.:angry:

Thanks for the tips. My local parts dealer has the press kit for free loan. Ordered both the upper assembly and the lower ball joints, for both sides. I'll be getting a new alignment as soon as the work is done.

Latest posts