Lower Balljoints soon

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
Well I'm still going over things on this truck (only had it a month) I discovered atleast a 1/4" of play in the lower ball joints so It looks like I'll be doing those right with the shocks. That should explain the slight vibration at highway speeds and some front end clunking. I've been researching it on here and a couple other sites, looks pretty easy, nothing I can't handle. I did notice one install I saw the guy removed the axle nut and pulled the spindle off of the axle, another one I saw the guy didn't touch the axle nut. and was able to keep everything together enough to do it. Any thoughts on the 2 methods? The upper joints appear pretty soild so I opted just to do the lowers. I ordered the joints from Rockauto.com. I'll get to use my new Ingersol Rand air impact and a couple other new tools.:cool:

We removed the lower A-Arms to replace them on my brothers 1999 Explorer. With the A-Arms removed, replacing the ball joint was really easy.

Tom

As tom said it is easier to remove the whole arm and replace them from there...

IT seems like more work, but the time saved working like a human being and not crunched on the ground or working around the brakes and stuff is worth it...

If you remove the A arm might as well replace the control arms bushings as well...

Todd Z

Got it done today. Started on it Fri.at 8:30 worked till 1:00 got the wholw front taken apart to the where I needed to press the balljoints out. Started this morning at 9:00 Finished up about 5:00. Keep in mind I also did front rear shocks, took a 1.5 hr lunch, cleaned up the calipers and rotors, neverseized every bolt I touched and actually some I didn't.. Couple things I learned, the balljoint press spacer will sit crooked under the a-arm when pressing the old one out, not big deal. When doing the rear shocks I can't see not taking down the charcoal canister thingy. I did break one of the screws holding that up.

Test drive later tonight, can't wait.