Lowering Kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
2 questions:

1. Originally when I bought my ST, it was 4x4. But, about 5 weeks ago I had some vibration at high speeds and the mechanics recommended taking out the 4x4 driveshaft. This might be a dumb question but does that mean my car is a 4x2 now? Stupid question but im just making sure because i found this lowering kit I am thinking abour buying.

2. Like i said i found a lowering kit on performancemarket.com but i think they only carry 4x2 AND its for an

explorer, can i still put this on my ST?

I've posted on suspension before and i told everybody that I know nothing about suspension so i have some dumb questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, just taking out the front driveshaft does not turn your truck into a 4x2, you still have the 4x4 suspension/hubs/front end set up.

If they pull the front driveshaft that would make it an all time 2wd in function, but all of the 4WD components would still be there. As for the main driveshaft, a 2WD driveshaft would be too long to fit (transfer case is there)

There was a problem with earlier STs where the main driveshaft having a vibration at highway speeds because it was out of balence. You might check to see if that's what they're replacing.

And about the lowering kit, that one you posted won't work. It's set up for the 2002 and up 4 door Explorer which has a coil spring suspension and independant rear suspension. Since the Gen 1 ST has a torsion bar suspension up front and leaf springs in the back, what you'll need is something similar to Explorer Express' setup with camber adjustment washers for the front and drop blocks for the leaf springs in the back.

And the only dumb question is the unasked one.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks larry and olaf, i just thought that the Explorer and Sport Trac suspesnsion would be built kinda the same so i thought it might work.

Just get the Explorer Express one. Just install mine yesterday and love it. Although I think I have to remove teh step bars. I haven't checked the cleances yet. but it's pretty low. I'll measure today and take some PICs.

But the first thing you should do is get there rear sway bar. I can't say enough about how much better the drive was, my wife noticed teh differnace within a block. lol

What kits do all yall use? I am looking at lowering a 2007 4x4. so from what I am understanding I can use a 2002+ explorer set? ? but what companies are good to go with? support for these trucks is kinda hard.

I would like to put the fenders just above the tires. maybe .5" gap.

thanks,

TF

Check with a site sponsor, Explorer Express. Their website may or may not be up-to-date on the application years.

Below is a link to lowering springs they sell.