LT vs P rated tire sizes?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all, Quick tire question.

Is there an actual size difference between a "LT" rated tire and a regular "P" series tire?

I'm aware the construction and load carrying difference between the two. I'm thinking that a LT 265/75/16 is the same diameter as a regular P series 265/75/16. The 265 is the actual measurement. I'll be tire shopping this fall. Also will a "Light Truck" tire make my Trac ride too harsh?

Thanks DG

The sizes are the same. The ride will be harder because the sidewall of an LT tire is stronger then a P series tire.

Tom

The truck will also Handel better due to the extra plys of nylon and rubber...

Can be a trade off if you want a larger tire that can Handel and carry loads...

Todd Z

I put LT265/75/16's on my '02 for the sidewall stability while towing, and all I can say is What a difference! I used to get buffetted by tractor trailers and buses w/ the RV connected, but no more. However, the stock shocks absolutely cannot handle the tires. Had to upgrade to sensatracs. There are pics in my library, notice they fill out the wheelwells rather nicely. The ride is a little stiffer, but that's what i'm looking for... HTH

Latest posts