Lubing the suspension

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mahen

Reaction score
Hey all-

Since spring break is coming in a week, I finally have time to work on my truck. I want to lubricate my suspension in various points, since it is squeaking and creaking a bit.

First, what kind of lubricant do you guys suggest

Second, any tricks and tips would be appreciated. I have never lubricated, well anything, so I plan on just starting with where the noises are coming from. If there is anywhere else I should lube up, please let me know.

Also, should I take things apart to lube them up?

Sorry for being a newb about this:rolleyes:

There are no grease fittings or "Zerk's" on the ST....

The suspension is a sealed unit...

You can spray things and take things apart and lubricate, but the sprays just act as a dirt magnet !!!

Todd Z

You could get a grease gun needle and lube the ball joints and end links.

If they are creaking, more than likely they are on thier way out.

Tom

I second Caymen's suggestion for a grease gun, but it's true what Todd mentioned as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you guys are saying. What concerns me is the fact that the suspension feels so smooth after I get it back from the dealership, they supposedly lube the suspension, but after a while the ride gets really rough and the back wheels sometimes seem to bounce around when I take turns and go over bumps.

I know this is a truck and should ride like one, but the suspension just seems to have gotten stiffer in the last 6 months. About a year ago I had some Ranchero RSX shocks installed, and thats really the only suspension mod so far. I am planing on getting better sway bars soon.

I have an 02 sporttrac btw, and have had it since 2005, but lately the ride just seems so much more stiff and rough that I remember.

Is this normal? Besides the squeaking, which seems to be coming from a set of long thin plates that seem to hold the axel up on the drivers side.

Let me know your thoughts please

i am not sure the "official name" of what they are. They don't look like springs to me, or at least my definition of a spring. They are long stacked flat pieces of metal, about 5 to 7 of them, and they are curved as if supporting a great weight. I think they are attached to the rear axle. i will try to take a photo of them and upload it when its light out.

Latest posts