Magnaflow mufflers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kil roy

Reaction score
I want to do a cat back Exhaust on my Sport Trac.

i can tell you that after having flowmasters on my 69 superbee

i DONT want them.

i would like to use magnaflow single in dual out but im not sure

of the right size, im thinking the 14" should do the trick because

if i can i would like to dump the tips out just in front of the right

rear wheel ala lightning.

had anyone done this? if so how is the sound with the exhaust

right there and are there any fume issues?

thanks in advance

I have the magnaflow cat back that dumps single behind right rear wheel..I love the sound. Being that the magnaflow muffler is a straight through design, I stayed single out 2 1/2" so the torque loss would be minimal...

There are a few that have exited the side like you want and i'm sure they will post later. I do not have the Magnaflow but do have the Flowtech Raptor on mine and love it. Good luck and hope everything works out.;)

fast eddie,

im leaning towards 2.5" in which i think is stock and 2-2" out so max after the muffler

is 4" of total exhaust.

Stonemiser,

can you get a flowtech in alumanized?

What is the reason for not liking flowmaster? was it the loudness, the droan or the fitmnent.

George C's st sounds great with the flowmaster 2/14 in and 2/14 out, and absolutely NO droan in the cab at all, because it was installed correctly, Just like mine...

My truck is louder, but his has a nice rumble and is not to loud at all and not snotty at all...

Todd Z

I have the magnaflow cat-back on my ranger and love the sound and as soon as I get

my st v8 it will have magnaflow cat-back on it.

How can you compare a '69 SuperBee with a V8, to an STwith a V6? Anyways here is my side exit system with a flowmaster that sounds incredible no noise inside the cab either. My exhaust was custom installed for only $140.00. Tip is pretty dirty in pic.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my side exit, no muffler. Loud as crap inside the truck, even louder outside.

[Broken External Image]:

Todd,

droan and the tinny rap sound and they were installed correctly by a guy i have been dealing with for 26 years.

Chad, not comparing the 2 vehicles believe me im dense but not that dense.

i personally just dont like the sound flowmaster gives compared to the magnaflow brand.

actually had a glass pack on my 87 ranger when i had it, 5 spd w/2.9 v6 with the dual cats

that restricted it enough that the glasspack sound was awesome from it so i have been leaning towards trying that just for laughs to see how it sounds..

also i dont know how old you guys are but the magnaflow that i had on my last truck reminded me of the cherry bomb turbos i had back in 1980 on my grand prix,

if you have heard that purring rumble you know what im talking about and im not sure if i can

duplicate it with the 4.0L but would like to get close.

JeffC thats what im looking for exit wise, do you have more photos closer up? also any issues with fumes with that right rear window down?

never mind jeff i just checked your library and found what i needed

thanks

I know Griff has plenty of pics of the welds and mounts and everything. Hopefully he'll pop in, see this, and foward you the e-mail I sent him.

I have a Flowmasater 70 Big Block because it is the quietest on the market, and it does not sound tinney at all. Considering that you installed the FM on your SuperBee 26 yrs. ago, I would challenge you to update your sound to current technology because materials & workmanship have changed drastically for the better. I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

A local friend Paul Arket (Trackett Paul) has a Magnaflow installed on his '03 ST, and I would equate the sound to that of a FM 50 SUV only a very slightly louder.

Check the sound clips in the Projects:

Rodger

you misunderstood what i said above, i have been dealing with

the exhaust guy for 26 years not that the flowmasters were

put on the car 26 years ago and if i had it to do over again

it would have gotten the magnaflows.

maybe the 70 series has a better sound but after listening to those

clips the 40 series and 50 series flowmasters still sound the same to me.

the random tech and the glass pack have a deeper sound and are

very similar in sound.

as i said above i am leaning towards trying the glass pack like i had

on my ranger but it would be nice to hear a magnaflow setup.

either way thanks for the link to the sound clips

wp23n, Sorry to misinterpret your original post. I personally think that the FM sound just fine. I did not want our ST sounding like a hotrod which is why I chose the FM 70 Series Big Block, so I am sure it is not what you would want to go with. You might want to consider the Borla Exhaust as well.