Making your own shackles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
How hard would it be to make your own shackles. If you have access to a welder, some spare time and metal? Would it be worth the time and effort? Thinking of buying the WP shackles but if I could say get another inch or two of height by making my own....would it be worth it?

Financially it probably would not be worth it...Shacle kits run from a low of about $20 to upwards of $80-$90. All of these kits come with new bushings etc and are probably stronger and better looking than most people will make in their home garage.

If you count the cost for the raw materials, and the time spent making your own, it would not be worth it to me... If you want to do it, just because you want to, that's fine but then, you would not be asking if "It was worth it"?

People ususally only fabricate these inexpensive parts when there is nothing on the market that will fit or work with their modifications.

...Rich

Kegger,

I know you're probably still in the Toronto area. If you're interested, I bought some shackles off of Ebay a few years ago (not WP shackles but good quality) and never ended up getting around to installing them. They are still sitting on a shelf in the basement. You can have 'em for $50 + shipping cost (or if you are in the London area soon I'll meet up with you).

Email me if you want them.

Thanks for the pic Jerry! And the input guys. I was just curious if it would be worth the effort.

Shawn, Yeah I'm Still in the Toronto area. I could make a road trip out of it with my girlfriend! Email being sent shortly!