Manual Seat Back Tilt Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Allred

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have knowledge about the manual seat back tilt lever? My drivers side seat back release is not working. I can see the pulley and cable that runs under the seat, but no matter how much I pull up on the lever or the cable (with a small screwdriver) it won't release so I can tilt it back or forward. I am just wondering where the cable runs to and if there is an easy fix or way to access the release so I can get my seat back in a comfortable position.

Thanks.

Possibly a broken upper recliner bolt. Recall states 2001-02 ST but may apply to later models. I believe I have this issue but mine's not stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lever for the passenger seat in my '01 froze from non-use (after something spilled in the cable housing and caused the cable to rust). I ran some WD-40 through the cables to free ot and followed that with aerosol white lithium grease. All good now.

The lever pulls two cables that release the seat back mechanisms - one to the right and one to the left - and allow reclining. Those release mechanisms get sticky and don't want to move. With the seats out it is easy to access the mechanisms. I have had success just moving the mechanisms back and forth with a screwdriver. After that, the lever worked fine. Some lube may be helpful as well.

Latest posts