Manual Tranny and a Chip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Can you change/modify the chip in a truck with a manual tranny? I know that typically what is modified is the way the tranny shifts and with a manual that's not possible. So is there anythign else that can be done to enhance the performance/milage by adding a chip?

We've been told that you can't change or modify ours because of the tranny.

You should still be able to change some engine tune parameters...contact W Foy about the XCAL2...

I had a chip in my 02 manual tranny St for almost 4 years. I just recently started to experience problems with it installed. I do not know if it is the socket on the ecm, or the chip itself. It is a single program Apten(Diablo) chip.

My mods are, Magnaflow exhaust-best improvement you can make IMO, MAC intake, Edelbrock IAS mono tube shocks, EE rear sway, lowered 2" front, 3" rear, and a big 20" wheelset.

Anyway, I would suggest the flasher, besides a variety of performance/mileage tunes, you can download codes. However, I still have the chip on my desk. If anyone wants to try it, just mail me $5 to cover shipping and it's your's. About a year and a half ago, the chip was sent back in to get reflashed. The problems I was experiencing was harder starting. The motor would simply turn over a half a dozen times before starting. Sometimes I had to apply throttle, sometimes it would not idle on initial start up. All these were intermittent issues.

So, email me directly if your interested in the chip. Again, it was programmed for manual tranny, exhaust, and intake mods.

Hey Lori,

We're using the XCal2 on our manual tranny, and love it. Using the tune for better gas milage. Wanyne Foy @ Hypnotic Illusions, site sponsor, also has a tune for towing, as well as on for high octane. We got the ones for gas milage & towing. Works absolutely great, and I like it because if you need to take it in the dealer you just plug it in to the OBDII to change it back to the OEM program. :D

Rodger

Rodger,

How much more mpg have you gained with the gas mileage tune? The flasher has been something I have been interested in for my manual tran ST for a while, just have to justify the cost in my head.

Tabjo,

If you want a tuner to save gas, it isn't worth it. If you gained 2 MPG, you would only go an extra 40 miles a tank. If you go from 18 to 20 MPG, your savings will take a long time to justify the cost of the flasher.

For example:

1 tank at 18 MPG is 360 miles. Lets say average of gas is $2.50/gallon. $50.00/fill-up. About 13.8 cents a mile for fuel.

1 tank at 20 MPG is 400 miles. Again $50.00 to fill the tank. That comes to 12.5 cents a mile for fuel.

A savings of 1.3 cents a mile. Multiply that by 40 miles and you save 52 cents a tankful. You would have to drive many miles to recoup the costs of a flasher.

At 52 cents savings per tank, you would have to fill your tank 600 times or so to break even. That would be 240,000 miles on the odometer. :)

On the other hand...

Buy the flasher for a more agressive running engine with more passing power. The plus side is better gas mileage.

Then go for it. If you are getting the flasher to save gas, it isn't worth it.

If I did not already have a chip, I would seriously consider a flasher. I would get it only for better performance and hope I will get better gas mileage.

Tom

Tabjo / Cayman, In addition to the XCal2 (flasher) with the program for better gas milage we have an AirAid cold air intake & Flowmaster 70 series big block II. On our trip from Sacramento, CA to Dallas (Sport Trac Meet) & back with about 98% hwy driving during our 5700 mile trip; we got 28 mpg on one stretch doing an avg. of 60 mph (not frwy), and the next leg (all frwy) we go 21 mpg doing an avg. of 75 to 80 mph. We averaged 24 mpg for the trip, which is what we got from Sacramento to Kingman, AZ. Lately we been averaging 18-19 mpg city which is what we were getting previously on the hwy. Needless to way I am pleased with the present set up. :D:D:D

I am mostly looking for some performance gains as well as correcting my speedometer/odometer reading for my bigger tires. I realize that it probably would not be cost effective to expect the increased MPG to pay for the flasher, but any gains would sweeten the deal. Thanks for the feedback.

Tab, look at it this way.... However much you spend on the flasher is a one time pain but the savings on tank after tank will make you happy, at least pleased, much more often. Plus, other tunes you can have done give you flexibility down the road. Maybe not the best logic but if you're looking for performance, or efficiency or whatever this will be the single best investment to do those things.