map light help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to pep boys today and purchased hyper white 194 bulbs for my front map lights, but I am having trouble getting the factory bulbs out. Is there a trick or have I just met a bulb that is smarter than me. Also, the brass/foil conductor that circles both map light holders is broke, will i need to replace this piece to complete the circuit or what. If so, can i buy this part only or do I need to buy the whole map/dom/temp console? thanks in advance and keep on trac'n.

I have heard the bulb melts the plastic and causes it fuse with the socket...

May have to replace the socket as well...

Thats why I don't leave my interior lights on when ever i can..

Todd Z

all you need to do to get the bulbs out is to turn the plastic piece firmly and they should come right out . also , when i took my bulbs out i noticed that the conductor was damaged. when i tried to put the new bulbs back in they would not turn on so i took a drive to pep boys for the guys there to look at it. turns out that it doesnt matter if its damaged and all i needed was to replace a fuse. good luck

What Todd said. The 194's will melt your reflector if left on too long. Can't give you and exact time, but it can/will happen.