Maximum (or "Best) Wheel Offset

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon W9

Reaction score
I am going in to get new tires soon (like today). The OEM GY Fortera have made it 45k miles, and I am ready to move on.

I plan on replacing with the stock size (245/65-17) in a Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10. This seems like a well reviewed tire. I had some Yokohama's on my last ST, but these ones seem very similar.

The shop also has some wheels there on clearance as well. They are 17x8 5-114.3 -6MTB

Apparently this is a large offset. Will I have issues with rubbing, and more importantly, with this offset cause any undue wear to my 4WD drivetrain?

Would a 265/60-17 be an upgrade as well, or just invite more problems?

Maybe this link will work: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/interactive.do?rcz=48821&yr=2007&pc=49111&vid=012291&rc=MILINT

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the link below to show you the differences from your stock wheels to the one's you are considering.

Thanks, I used that for the size, but missed the offset.

As for the wider tires, it looks like they aren't available any ways. Oh well.

I am going on the assumption that the stock offset is +44mm (from a google search).

So, the -6 would be about the same as using 2" spacers? That seems kinda large!

Thanks Les.

Looking at the chart that you linked to, the OEM backspace is 5.7", and the "new" one would be 4.2"

So, this would be the same as 1.5" spacers, correct?

So, this would be the same as 1.5" spacers, correct?

Pretty close, but remember, the wheels you are considering are 1" wider. I have 16 x 8 wheels with a 4" backspace on my 09ST. My personal opinion is the wheels and tires sit outa bit too much. On my 05ST, a 4" backspace was perfect. I do get compliments on the stance and the truck handles well, but I am actually considering changing the wheels primarily because of this.

A negative offset will stick out further. You will not need spacers. I know discounttiredirect lists some -6 offset available for Sport Tracs. They would know if they will fit.

If you want to go wider, you can go 255/60 (1/2" shorter), or 255/65, 275/60 (both 1/2" taller -- or same height as OEM 18" Limited tires).

Wow -- your Goodyears lasted that long? Mine will be lucky to make 30k. At 20K, they are down to 6-7/32nds.

I went with them. They mounted one and there was no rub, although it was close at the front with a hard turn.

They stick out further, but I think it looks pretty good. I will try to take some pics this weekend. The ST is pretty dirty now, although I doubt I will get time to wash it.

I stuck with the stock tire size.

The bad thing was that they didn't have the bands on hand for my TPMS, so I have to go back and have them reinstalled next week. I think they are charging me like $10 per band, is that normal?

The good years were pretty worn. I was hoping to get a few bucks on them, but none. Now I am debating on what to do with my stock wheels.

Depending on what I could get for the stock rims at this point would help me decide if they are worth storing. Right now they could use a good cleaning.

Yeah, the sales guy muffed the bands thing, since he didn't notice I had TPMS, although it was on all the paperwork.

Here are some pics I took yesterday. They are cell phone pics, so excuse the quality. As you can see from a couple of the pictures, the extended width like to toss mud all the way down the side now.

Latest posts