Meet Roxy!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Long

Reaction score
I wanted everyone to meet the newest member of our family.... Roxy!!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

She's a Great Dane (maybe not so "Great" right now, but give her a few months!) puppy, about 8 weeks old. She already weighs 15 pounds, her mom was about 120-130, dad was probably 170 at least! The wife and I have been wanting one for quite some time and finally gave in.... we surprised the kids with her this weekend and they absolutely loved her (of course...).

We're a little concerned about her hearing at the moment though. She was very timid after we brought her home, and nothing seems to startle her. She's starting to seem a bit more comfortable around the house and be more outgoing, but she just doesn't respond to many of the typical sounds, clapping, etc. like most dogs do. I'm not sure if she's just sort of blocking things out as a coping mechanism, if she is just really that laid back, or if there might actually be a problem. We'll be taking her to the vet later this week, so hopefully we'll know more then.

Anyway, the last pic above was pretty funny, she was sleeping on her new bed and rolled off the side of it against our patio door, she stayed asleep in that position for about 10 minutes before finally rolling back over a bit. I guess that walk we took tonight really wore her out!

PS- Don't mind the blue on her fur, the kids were drawing on the patio with chalk and she laid down in it....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Growing up, I had a Great Dane. Such wonderful dogs. Mom wanted to keep her the way God made her, so we never cropped the ears, big floppy things. Good luck with the new puppy, you are going to have alot of fun.

Tommy

That's great Dan! :cool: Nice pics too. I just had some awareness around why Great Dans think they are lap dogs when they grow up; that is because they are lap dogs as puppies. The same way that elephants are chained by one leg when they are young and cannot break the chain; the elephant remembers, when it grows up, that the chain cannot be broken.

Many many Danes are deaf. It's really pretty common. I had a friend with a deaf Dane that taught her hand commands. He'd stomp on the ground, she'd look, and he'd give the command.

Thanks guys! We don't plan on cropping her ears, as much as I love the classic Dane look, the pain to the dog, cost of it, and 3-12 months of cleaning and re-taping just don't justify it since there's no health benefits to her.

R&G, she's definitely a lap dog! She spent most of last night sprawled across us while we watched a movie, then my wife put her between us in bed this morning for a few hours when she started whimpering from her crate around 5 AM. She couldn't have been more content. I love the pics as well, my wife's getting pretty good with her Canon Rebel XTi that I got her as a B-day gift a few months ago.

Dingo, we have seen quite a bit about the deafness in them, and from our research it seems to show up most commonly in the "merle" variety of the dog, which Roxy is considered. The breeder didn't mention any problems with her , although we didn't really care for the lady or her kennel setup. However, both the parents were on site and appeared very healthy, as did all the other pups and the 5 adults that she personally owned. While I might try to get some money back if she is, I don't think we could part with her at this point. Especially considering that many people believe the deaf dogs should just be euthanized....:( My wife does have a bit of sign language experience, so I'll just let her handle the training!:D

Way cool D.L. Something about puppies that tugs at my heart strings. I have had seven in my life, all different breeds including three "rescues" that were mixed breed. Dogs are a reflection of the people that own them. The same applies to our children. Congrats Dan, and don't forget to buy stock in your favorite dog food company, after all we're NOT talking about a "Chihuahua". :) Steve

P.S.- My imagination or do ST owners have a "soft spot" for puppies?

Pretty puppy. She's sleeping upside down, wait 'till her hands and feet are flopped around when sleeping like that, lol. My dukedog, would sleep like that. Doggies are great.

Congrats !!!!! Best of health to her !!

Todd Z

That is awesome!! You will absolutely love her. We saddly had to put out 7 year old big brindle female dane down a couple weeks ago. Best dog in the world and saddest thing I have ever had to do.....

But, we love the dane bread so much we are planning to go meet a rescue dane. Actually he is a Great Dane / Mastiff mix! We will see how it all works out and keep you posted.

Good luck with herand any questions on the breed you can always shoot me an email.

They are big goof balls and will always make you laugh!!

She's adorable! I love danes, they really are neat dogs. They have NO CLUE how big they are, and want to be around you (read: on you) at all times. My friend's dane used to back up to the couch and sit next to her. He even had his own twin bed in a spare bedroom. It's too funny. They really are part of the family.

Best of luck to you and Roxy. She looks like a lot of fun. :D

This is our "ROXY", congrats on your roxy.[Broken External Image]:

sorry for the size, but she's a "big girl" now

Be careful with the lap thing! I have a golden that is way to big for a lap dog, but the second I sit on the floor, he thinks its lap time! Nice looking pup!

Dogs Rule - Cats Drule!:cool:

CONGRATS !!!

nice looking doggie !

good luck and hope all is well :D

on a side note, in the future consider adopting :cool:

keep the dog out of the bed we have two that we wish we knew this before. we cant even turn over in the bed in the middle of the night for fear of suffocating them, and if we are in the way they will just kick until WE MOVE! i love my dogs but wish we never let them sleep with us [Broken External Image]:

Wish I was still young, my last dog was put down last Xmas day:(

Try as I might cannot get the wife to let me get another, her reasoning is just.

Bill, your 61 yrs old, when the dog is 15, you will 76. you going to be taking the dog for walks in your walker:eek:

She said I could get a Gecko. nothing more.

I want another dog. not going to happen:(

Latest posts