Members with Manual shift ST, 45k +

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
This question is mainly for ST members with manual shift tracs.

My trac has now turned 45k, thankfully overall, I have experienced good fortune so far. I hope it continues. I know not all tracs will experience the same problems, however I was curious as to what problems the members with Manual shift ST may have had, maintenance / mechanic wise and at what milage?

After reading some on the posts about the problems with the tranny on the automatic shift ST and other minor and some major quirks with the ST itself, I am hoping to get some idea as to what to expect later, if anything much, like clutch slippage, flywheel, driveshaft, gearbox etc. I service the trac on schedule dates / milage etc.

Please disregard driving style and environment. Thanks for your comment.

PJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ST is an auto, but as an owner of mostly manual cars, your clutch and all associated components live's will be completely determined by your driving style. I have put over 200,000 miles on a single clutch, but can't seem to get my wife to keep one around for more than about 40K.

As far as your tranny questions, I would find out what the model is of the tranny, and find out where else it is used. If it is used in Rangers for example, there are a lot more people with manual Rangers than STs....probably get more feedback on what to expect from that tranny in a Ranger forum......

3rd gear synchro - this is usually only a problem if you push your trac and shift hard (as I have and do). Had it repaired and hasn't been an issue again.

Clutch master cylinder leak. Happened around 69k miles. Don't know if that's good or bad, but $130 in 3.5 years didn't seem too bad. Was a pain to remove/replace.

Clutch slave cylinder - I believe this thing has been faulty from day one (bought new). Clutch pedal never was consistent. Much bigger job, since you have to drop the tranny. Depending on mileage, might as well do the clutch. bigger job but done in the driveway in a few hours.

These are issue pertaining specifically to the manual tranny. Admittedly, I drive hard and push my trac.

I have 75K on mine and the single problem that I had was the cotter pin that keeps the clutch and brake pedals in the correct position sheared off - replaced by myself and that was it, no further problems.

I did however changed the manual tranny oil to deep purple at 50K. It didn't appear to really need it but figured I would do it anyway.

I have had no other problems and hope you have the same luck.

Just passed 65k on mine, nothing really odd except when i first start the car and let the clutch go it makes this wierd like metal squeeling sound for a second.

Just rolled to 62K and we haven't had any problems with the clutch or tranny (knock on wood). We did change out the tranny fluid and replaced it with fully synthetic Mobile 1 at 10k. Had it changed again at the 60K service.

I wouldn't give up my manual for any reason. It's really too bad that they don't offer it anymore.

just turned 71k. I hammer my ST also. Had the slave go/soft pedal in the first few thousand miles. Changed to Mobil 1 synthetic around 45k I think. No problems.

As stated in an earlier post, clutch's are like brakes-all drivers treat them differently.

I agree about the current lack of a manual shift option. That simply means no new ST for me. No sequential this, or semi manual that. If it ain't got a left pedal, and a shift lever, it doesn't belong in my driveway.

Thanks every one for your input. I really appreciate your comments. Your experience is invaluable to members like myself.

For a moment though, I thought all the manual ST had disappeared. So glad to know that is not the case.

Anymore of us out there?

PJ...

It was a good option, but in 03 Ford felt there was no call for a manual tranny, and discontinued it.

Conrad, You have a bad throw out bearing or pilot bearing... Should have it looked at...

Todd Z

Add me to the "75K+ manual shift, drive the heck out of it daily, so far no problems" club.

Just put in some Royal Purple Syncromax in the transmission lately, shifts so much nicer. Still love owning this truck, wish gas was cheaper though.

It was a good option, but in 03 Ford felt there was no call for a manual tranny, and discontinued it.

Actually, with only 3% of Tracs sold with a manual tranny, it seems like nobody really felt it was a worthwhile option.

Tom

My 2001 has around 27K miles and up until this week it was fine. Then twice in one day I was at a light and I had difficulties getting it into 1st gear. Haven't driven it much since so I don't know if it was a fluke or the beginning of something more serious. I did change to Royal Purple a couple of thousand miles ago.