Mercon V

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
I am about to do a service on my Sport Trac and am wondering, does royal purple or amsoil have a counterpart to mercon V and is it *better*? as far as shifting, ete,ete. Also do I need to change the dope in my rear diffential and what would be best. I have about 89,000 miles on her. I have had tranny services before, but am thinking of trying something else.

Have a good one

Bob

I run Amsoil tranny fluid. It is Mercon V compatable. I also run Amsoil 75W140 gear oil in the differential with the friction modifier. Both work fine. Tranny shifts fine. I changed it the second time since I had the Trac.

Tom

Robert,

Bith Amsoil and Royal Purple as well as several other companies make 100% Mercon-V compatible transmission fluids and they all work fine. The original Mercon-V is a semi-synthetic blended fluid, but there are also fully synthetic Mercon-V fluids available.

I personally prefer the fully synthetic Mercon-V and synthetic motor oils, but any respectable brandname Mercon-V compatible fluid should be satisfactory, just buy a fluid that is within your price range and easily available in your area. There are many testimonials hyping specific brands but no evidence that one brand is better than the other.

...Rich