methanol question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Mouser

Reaction score
I have access to 100% methanol I was thinking of adding maybe a cup or less to a full tank, would this cause any trouble that you would know of?....I did this with my 90 model ranger 4.0 and didn't seem to have any probs but my ST is 2001, didn't know if it would damage any plastic parts.... Thanks in advance

Dennis

What are the benefits of adding methanol to gasoline?? Is this similar to adding acetone to a tan of gas that supposedly will increase your mpg, or does it simply give you more horespower??

Complete combustion (stoich) for gas is about 14.7 A/F. For methanol it is about 6.3. Methanol has less fuel energy than gas, but adds considerable quantities of oxygen. Adding, 10% methanol, to gas creates a new unknown stoich value somewhere in between, maybe closer to about 13.8..

A 02 sensor calibrated for gas will read leaner once significant alcohol is added (more oxygen is available). The issue is calibration. "How do you know exactly what the A/F accuracy is with this new fuel mix?" Unfortunately, you don't.

I wasn't able to find out what methanol attacks, but it is an alcohol base and would burn...

Try searching methanol in gas on the net...

Todd Z

Alcohol has a higher octane rating than gasoline and is actually blended with most gasolines up to 10%. E85 is 85% ethanol, and many of the new cars/trucks are setup to run anthing from straight gasoline, to 85% alcohol.

Now if you truck is not a Flex-Fuel engine, it may not be of any benefit, but 1 cup mixed with 20-22 gallons of gas would not do any harm either.

If you add too much and go beyond 10% you could damage the fuel system if it is not designed to run alcohol above 10%

I just don't see any advantage to adding a cup of alcohol to the gasoline. You will never see or notice any difference. Kind of like peeing into the ocean and expecting to see the water level rise.

...Rich

Latest posts