Michelin Cross Terrain SUV

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Tan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just changed the crapyears on my ST. They still had 10,000 miles on them but with all the rain that we've been having up here in Sacramento, I was getting so paranoid becuase the tail of the ST was fishing out all the time and if you ever got into a panic stop situation, it was anybody's guess if the ST would come to a stop.

So I elected to put on the Michelin's Cross Terrian :). Man, talk about night & day. All of a sudden the ST isnt such a bad ride. I dont know how Good year was able to sell those poor excuse's for tires. I tried slamming on the brakes in the snow with the Michelin's. Awesome. Advice to all , get rid of the good years ASAP. Not only will you ST handle better, it will also be safer.

Dave is absolutely correct here. The cross terrains are awesome in snow and wet conditions. No slipping, no sliding, no breaking loose. In 42,000 miles I can only recall one time when they slid on ice. They have never broken-loose on acceleration.....Never! [except when I tried to just to see what it would take]. ABS system hasn't activated yet on snow or wet pavement. These tires stick like glue to the road surface. They are worth every $ when it comes to safety and control in bad conditions.

I don't have a ST (yet) but I can vouch for the Cross Terrain tires. On my 2nd set and agree with everything that has been said here. It hurts to look at new vehicles and realize that the tires will not be as good as what I currently have.

I bought my 01 slightly used at 11,000 miles. It had the firestone "Ford Exploder version" tires when I bought it. I immediately had the dealer change them to Michelin under the tire exchange program. I've had two sets of Michelin Cross Terrain tires since and I love them! I change mine out a little earlier than probably required due to the cupping that usually occurs but have had overall great performance out of these tires.

Hi David,

I agree with you about the Michelin tires. My 02ST came with the Michelin 235s and the Teardrop style stock rims, The ride was great. I recently purchased the five spoke stock rims from a member and the wheels came with the Goodyear255. Immediatley I started to hear the whomp, whomp sound from the front tires. This morning I went to the Goodyear tire shop and had them check the tires, alignment and replace the air in the tires with Nitrogen - TOTAL COST $85.. I must say it has only been a few hours but the ride was so much better and the whomp, whomp noise was gone. Have you tried the Nitrogen in your tires?

Last edited by a moderator:
I initially switched to the CT following the Firestone recall. I personally didn't like the tread wear on them (expected them to wear better) and later switched to the Michelin LTX which have worn much better (same driving habits). I can't tell any significant difference between the two otherwise (and they were cheaper at the time that I switched).

I'm surprised you didn't get good wear out of your Cross Terrains. I've run through two sets (on different trucks) and gotten more than 90,000 miles each time.

Latest posts