Miles To Empty ... accurate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
How accurate do you think the Miles to Empty is on the '07 ST?

[Broken External Image]:

I can see now

"Gauge reads 4 miles to fuel empty"

"3 miles to nearest gas station"

"Readout should read 2 miles to fuel empty" PRICELESS

:lol:

I put in 21.5 gallons. It clicked off at about 20 and I squeezed in some more.

What do you think I had left? Once the miles to empty got below 10 miles it really started dropping fast. Happy I made it, I knew I was in the area of a bunch of gas stations so I wasn't worried. :wacko:

It is not bad but it checks your previous gas mlage to make the prediction. If you change driving styles which lower your MPG then you could be in trouble.

EG on highway , next exit 30 miles and you are good for 38 miles and you speed up or get stuck in traffic and MPG changes you could have a problem.

Don't rely on it, fill up with 60 miles to go!:blink:

Learned my lesson on several cars long ago. I never go below 1/4 of a tank, before a fill up...

I know what you mean ran out of gas once in the 22 years I am driving and it was in Manhattan during rush hour just off 5th Ave. It was murder, my gas gauge was broke.

The miles to empty thing beeps at 50 miles to go. I normally gas up shortly after that. Being in NYC I am not really in a situation where I would have to go a long distance to find a gas station. I do most of my driving in Queens, which is outside of Manhattan. Its one of the "outer boroughs". We are no where near a shortage on gas stations.

{For those who do not know NYC it is made up of 5 Boroughs Manhattan being the most famous. Then there is Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island. To get the real feel for NYC you have to visit the outer boroughs especially Queens and Brooklyn. Just stay out of the bad neighborhoods.}

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyB -

Did your "Low Fuel" light come on.

On my '07, it came on as I pulled into a gas station. I put as much gas in as possible -- 20.5 gals; 2 gallons left.

Terry

TSSS, Yeah, once I get to 50 gal. left the "Low Fuel" pops up on the display and it makes a beep. Thats when I switch to the "xx miles to empty" display so I can know when I have to get a fill up.

Drive 4 miles, walk back home and drop us a message to let us know what happened.

Pat, that idea crossed my mind too. More like drive 4 miles, walk to nearest gas station, buy gas can and gas, walk back to ST, drive to gas station and complete fill up, drive home and post the results here, get laughed at. :lol:

The Miles to Empty feature is reasonably accurate as stated before. My reasoning is based on how much gas it takes to fill the truck when you get down to say 10 miles to empty. The average fuel economy feature is also fairly accurate, more so than it was in my Dodge Dakota.

Latest posts