Missing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I changed the spark plugs the other week and after changing them I have a slight miss. I have rechecked all the spark plugs and nothing found I cleaned the IAC motor and still have a miss. How can I tell what cylinder it is coming from?

With the motor running, remove a spark plug wire and see what happens. If the problem gets worse, you know it's not that cylinder. If the problem doesn't change, it's that cylinder.

Make sure you haven't accidentally left a vaccum hose loose or disconnected.

Tiger, right theory but wrong on the worse part.

If you have a cylinder missing and remove the plug wire the miss will stay the same as it was all ready missing, (it may get slightly worse as there is some spark making it thru the damaged plug or defective wire).

If you have a good cylinder with no miss and remove the wire there will be a new rather large miss in the engine.

In a nutshell: Remove a wire and nothing to very little happens that is the cylinder that is miss firing.

Remove a wire and increase the miss that cylinder is good to go..

Coastie...that's what I said.

Your nutshell: Remove a wire and nothing to very little happens that is the cylinder that is miss firing.

Mine: (remove a plug wire and) if the problem doesn't change it's that cylinder (that is misfiring).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're missing, you should see a check engine light. Have it scanned, it will say which cylinder.

Another thing to watch out for. If you have a bad plug and you grab the wire while touching some part of the body, be prepared to get many folts into your body. It doesn't feel good.

You best be is to order some new wires and replace them. I always change my wires when I change my plugs. I recomend Taylor-vertex wires.

Tom