Mobil 1 Synthetic How Many Miles To Next Change of Oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do oil change w/filter 3,000-3,500 miles later, filter and a quart of oil.

I change oil and filter complete at 7,000-7,500 miles later.

Works great.

Crash

I do almost exclusively hi-way miles. Mobil says we can take it to 10,000 miles with my type of driving. I do mine every 7500 miles and have nothing but great success. I did the same with the other Trac I owned as well as a 98 Ranger that I put 90,000 miles on.

I use nothing but Mobil 1 Synthetic in everything I own. Maybe it is all luck but I have never had an engine related issue. As far as I am concerned that's cheap insurance.....

I aim for 5,000 miles, but it can be anywhere from 4,000 to 8,000 miles, with our busy lives. Also, the rain doesn't help, since the garage still has my office in it waiting for me to finish painting my new office in the house. And I just found a damp board in a windowsill, which means I have a leaky window! Next project!

No problems with the engine in 90,000 miles so far.

Before my last oil change I used the "extended" Mobil 1 (15K type full synthetic) I changed the filter every 5k and when I did a full oil change at 13.5k it was still in good shape. Wasn't even burnt smelling or anything. I just went with the 5k mobil 1 this last time because of price.;)

I use the synthetic to extend my change intervals, and i go 15k between intervals in all of my cars. In my opinion, (and this is JMHO) using mobil 1 and changing it at 5k is a waste of money and effort (although it can't hurt). at 5k, the additives of regular oil are still intact, and unless you run a turbo or other extreme application, won't protect your engine any better. synthetic is better in the winter, because of it's more stable viscosity, it will flow better at low temps. I work at at a large corp and have done life tests on diesel engines and the effect of synthetic vs dino oil with regards to contaminants and the number of hours, syn vs dino. we determined that we could extend the change interval to 1500 hours, which is a helluva lot of miles in a car. i would suggest researching the topic on the manufacter's websites, and look into some independant SAE reports on the subject. there is a lot of misinfomation and hersay out there on this topic, as well as others (i.e. brakepads).

i don't mean to start a heated discussion, just to start people thinking...

remember, JMHO...;)

PS, i got 205000 miles out of a 90 aerostar w/ a 3.0 l using 5w-30 regular oil changed at 7500-10k mile intervals, with mixed driving... had to get rid of it because the body rotted off of it.. still ran like new..

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, I do mine between 4k-5k and it comes out BLACK...Also do a K&N filter. 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer.

I agree with STanner. Changing it around 5k can't hurt but most experts will tell you a good grade of dino will last 5k so whats the point of getting synthetic. I just switched to Royal Purple. Plan to let it go to 7500 the first time and maybe longer the next time depending on how it looks. A good filter (not fram) should also last you that long. Of course driving conditions, I'm sure, plays into the equation also.

why do you say not fram?

I usually change mine every 3 becuase i use regular oil in a very heavy city traffic situation daily. But ive alawyas used fram filters and never had a problem even with my other car.

When i used synthetic I would change it at 5 thousand miles. I wonder how well the mobil oil that lasts for 15 thousand miles will hold up? has anybody here used it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Conrad: We say not Fram as they are the absolute worst filter you can put on a car. The no-name "Supertech" filters from Wal-mart tested better than the Fram's.

I usually put either Bosch or Motorcraft filters on my cars, and haven't had a problem. Can't say the same for the Fram filters I used in the past.

down south our motors are subjected to alot of moisture it is not the fact of the oil braking down it is just full of moisture 5K is my max.

really, i didnt know that about fram. I use to use them all the time because theyre little no slip surface made them easy to change on my old civic (you had to snake your hand in there to get at it) Now that an oil change from the dealer costs me about 15 bucks i just take it there instead, its cheaper and saves me alot of time. The civc wasnt worth taking to the dealer haha (may she rest in peace)

I go 5K-6K miles on Mobil-1 and have pushed it to over 7K miles without feeling guilty since I know the synthetic oil can withstand the extended intervals.

...Rich

How do you folks feel about the Synthetic blends? Are they worth the extra cost?

If your vehicle is still under warranty, I think Ford will still deny warranty engine repairs if you don't change as instructed in the owner's manual, even if you use synthetic.

I go 5000-6000 on the regular Mobil1, which usually is about 6 months on the Trac. Last change I put the extended Mobil1 in wife's Liberty and plan to change it 15,000 miles (about 6 months). She drives 100+ miles every day to work, all highway. Will probably put the extended stuff in the Trac and just change them both twice a year, and not pay attention to mileage anymore.

Latest posts